PDA

View Full Version : white puss discharge

nomad
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Hello,
one of my discus tanks have 2 sick fish discharging a thick white puss. 2 rounds of metro with no luck. my question is I have a ton of amoxicillin (fish mox) has anyone used it for that with any luck?

Skip
10-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Hello,
one of my discus tanks have 2 sick fish discharging a thick white puss. 2 rounds of metro with no luck. my question is I have a ton of amoxicillin (fish mox) has anyone used it for that with any luck?

fill out the questionnaire at top of this page..

nomad
10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
fill out the questionnaire at top of this page..

Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

1 fish white puss discharge. other then that they look normal/ My mother passed away on the 20th. I lost over 300 fry and missed a few water changes and feedings due to funneral arrangments and such. problem was noticed on the 23rd.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

thick white puss poop

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
it was just one fish, moved him to 10 gal tank. treated him with api general cure (metro,prazi) repeated in 48 hours with no luck still white puss, now another in the 75 gal. is infected. I want to treat the whole tank

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
75 gal. 6 months old 15 discus 3''

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
75% every other day running for 6 months. bare bottom, R/O water reminned with kent r/o right

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __87___

- ph __6.4 stable___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading _15___

- well water __0__

- municipal water __138 tds__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
never

jimg
10-31-2012, 12:32 PM
are they still eating? what have you been feeding them?

nomad
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
are they still eating? what have you been feeding them?

Hakari BW, Flake, BH, They are all eating like cows.

jimg
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Hakari BW, Flake, BH, They are all eating like cows.feces yellowish? are they growing or looking thin? do you have access to a scope? try just bw for a few days see if it returns to normal for now.

BobDaniel
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
I had a similar problem with a couple of mine who were passing nasty looking white/clear poops. I treated with Metro at 125 mg per 10 gallons, but no improvement was seen even after several days. I then gave 4x that dose and now the feces anre getting dark and firming up.

nomad
10-31-2012, 02:31 PM
feces yellowish? are they growing or looking thin? do you have access to a scope? try just bw for a few days see if it returns to normal for now.

Real white thick fluffy not stringy worm like at all. Just BW has been there diet for the last couple days. Is this an unheard of sickness with discus? I was hopeing to find out if i should treat for parasite or bacterial infection.

jimg
10-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Real white thick fluffy not stringy worm like at all. Just BW has been there diet for the last couple days. Is this an unheard of sickness with discus? I was hopeing to find out if i should treat for parasite or bacterial infection.

In most all cases I have ever seen with internal disorders enough to cause white feces they stop eating long before or go after then spit it out. If they have been strictly on bw and no bh and feces is still the same I would treat with metro at 400 mg, about 1/4 tsp per 20 and oxytetracycline 1tsp per 20 with 90% wc each day for 10 days. first 5 days leave temp about 83 or so the increase to 88+ for following 5 days at least. no light,cover tank to prevent jumpers. no filters just air stone. I would not use a 10 gallon, I would get a 20.
second step to be to deworm with piperazine or angels plus fenbendazole flake

BobDaniel
10-31-2012, 03:26 PM
I was feeding mine live BW when the white poops started FWIW.

nomad
10-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Update. poop now has a yellow color to it. treated tank and food with 100% metro powder 400mg per 20

jimg
11-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Update. poop now has a yellow color to it. treated tank and food with 100% metro powder 400mg per 20order some piperazine from rocky mountain discus I'd be sure to says worms are the issue. continue the metro for 5 days meanwhile will help with flagellates and bacteria as they will now be multiplying too. other choices for deworm are deworm flakes,flubendazole or levamosile if you can find it. may still need to run a coarse of anti bio if thick feces continues

nomad
11-02-2012, 09:40 PM
order some piperazine from rocky mountain discus I'd be sure to says worms are the issue. continue the metro for 5 days meanwhile will help with flagellates and bacteria as they will now be multiplying too. other choices for deworm are deworm flakes,flubendazole or levamosile if you can find it. may still need to run a coarse of anti bio if thick feces continues

Thanx jim,
I will continue the metro, And I ordered piperzine from Al at RM I hope I recieve it tomorrow, Im going to worm all my tanks. Thanx again

jimg
11-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanx jim,
I will continue the metro, And I ordered piperzine from Al at RM I hope I recieve it tomorrow, Im going to worm all my tanks. Thanx again hope it works out.I soak fdblk worms in water with a pinch of piperazine and feed strictly that.