PDA

View Full Version : Cycle in limbo

Dogvet06
10-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Ive been cycling with pure aquarium for 3 weeks and over a week my nitrites have been constant at 1.0 no ammonia and 25 nitrates. I was doing 90% wc and over the weekend i changed to 50% wc still stuck at 1.0 nitrites. Should i hold off on wc for a few days or keep at it? Fish are acting great, voracious appetites.

DiscusBR
10-31-2012, 10:53 PM
A lot of information is missing here: tank size, filtration system, etc. I also assume you meant "pure ammonia" and not "pure aquarium". If that is the case, how is it possible that you are getting no ammonia reading? You seem to be suggesting that you doing a fishless cycle, but then you mention that there are fishes in the tank. I can't understand.

Dogvet06
10-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Sorry 90gal 9 discus range from 3-5" and no its pure aquarium beneficial bacteria balls. I have a wet/dry filter, 40gal sponge filter and a bottle of k1 media going wi the pure aquarium balls in it. There a a few people using the pure aquarium/pure pond and putting fish right in.

Len
10-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Jamie, It's odd you are seeing nitrites at all. I had been having a serious nitrite problem while cycling my fluid bed. No matter what I did water changes and all, they were through the roof. I bout pure pond from Bill at Inland Empire Discus and within a day the nitrites dropped to zero. I'm assuming Pure Aquarium is very similar and should have the same effect. Check with whoever sold it to you, perhaps they can offer some assistance. Best of luck.

Dogvet06
10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Actually it is purepond...and i got it from Bill. I will msg him thanks!

jimg
11-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Ive been cycling with pure aquarium for 3 weeks and over a week my nitrites have been constant at 1.0 no ammonia and 25 nitrates. I was doing 90% wc and over the weekend i changed to 50% wc still stuck at 1.0 nitrites. Should i hold off on wc for a few days or keep at it? Fish are acting great, voracious appetites.yes stop wc's, just vacuum debris and replace what you lost

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 07:17 AM
I just tested my tap, aging barrel, 90gal and my 29 quarantine thats empty and the results are
I have 0.5 nitrites in tap, 1.0 nitrites in aging, 1.0 in 90gal and 0 in my quarantine that is empty but is still running bc i have fish coming by the end of the month. So what do i do if nitrites in tap/ aging barrel?

pcsb23
11-01-2012, 07:53 AM
yes stop wc's, just vacuum debris and replace what you lostAgreed.

I just tested my tap, aging barrel, 90gal and my 29 quarantine thats empty and the results are
I have 0.5 nitrites in tap, 1.0 nitrites in aging, 1.0 in 90gal and 0 in my quarantine that is empty but is still running bc i have fish coming by the end of the month. So what do i do if nitrites in tap/ aging barrel?Do you put prime in the barrel? If so stop.

I'd empty and clean the barrel thoroughly. Then just put the water in there. If you use prime add it to the tank just before adding the water.

A properly healthy filter will chew through NO2 quickly too so don't let it worry you too much. I'd probably hod off adding any more purepond and the like, just leave the filter to get on with it now.

Test the water before doing a change too, this way you see what the NO2 is after the filter has had a go. If it is showing then if fish present use some salt to mitigate the effects. Ordinary every day cooking salt is fine, with or without YPS or iodide btw. As long as it is 99.9% NaCl you will be fine.

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 08:17 AM
90g/aged/tap/29g
Ive had barrels 2 weeks and cleaned them out then, add prime to tank not barrel, do i still clean them?
Thanks for the help

pcsb23
11-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Jamie it looks as though the barrel and the tank are about the same. I'm guessing you are using API kits (most use the same method anyway so ...) - if you are getting higher NO2 in your barrel than from your tap water, something is happening in the barrel to produce it. The likelihood is that there is some bacterial action going on, so yes I would clean the barrels.

It usually takes a filter around 6 weeks to get mature, and then a further number of weeks to get strong so sometimes we just have to be patient.

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Ok and i just realized i checked the barrel with my driftwood in it. I will check the other barrel too. And yes using API test kit.

Chicago Discus
11-01-2012, 09:17 AM
im sorry I'm lost are you doing a fish-less cycle with pond balls?

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
not fishless and using pure aquarium with 9 discus. i know now the tank is cycled i just have to figure out whats causing nitrites to rise in my barrels

Second Hand Pat
11-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Jaimie, are your barrows food safe?

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Jaimie, are your barrows food safe? yes they were used to store peroxide for cleanup at a chicken plant

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
so with nitrites in my tap do i need to have a carbon filter on my aging barrel or do I need an RO unit?

pcsb23
11-01-2012, 12:41 PM
so with nitrites in my tap do i need to have a carbon filter on my aging barrel or do I need an RO unit?tbh I wouldn't overly worry about them. Once the filter is fully up to speed any NO2 will be consumed quite quickly. The NO2 in your tap water may only be temporary too.

Chicago Discus
11-01-2012, 12:48 PM
so with nitrites in my tap do i need to have a carbon filter on my aging barrel or do I need an RO unit?

im sorry that you are having this issue, ok let me try to help. in the aging barrel make sure there is nothing in there except water, heater and some aeration which is the most important thing in an aging tank. I also use prime when filling my tank and cover the tank as to not let the heat out. IMO don't put anything else in the aging tank like driftwood, peat moss or any kind of other conditioners.
this should work.........Josie

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 01:02 PM
thanks i have two barrels the other doesnt have anything but heat and aeration.... im pretty sure the nitrites will be in there too but im going to check when i get home. my lfs has an ro di unit 50 gpd for 250 is this too high? im waiting for him to respond with what brand it is

Second Hand Pat
11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Jaimie, I would suggest if you wish to buy a RO to get one online. Price wise you can do way better.

pcsb23
11-01-2012, 01:26 PM
thanks i have two barrels the other doesnt have anything but heat and aeration.... im pretty sure the nitrites will be in there too but im going to check when i get home. my lfs has an ro di unit 50 gpd for 250 is this too high? im waiting for him to respond with what brand it is50 gpd will not be enough. 1st off it won't produce 50 gpd as the input temp and pressure will not be where they are tested (25C and I think 100psi) ... agree with Pat get one online, but get one at least twice as big as you think you need.

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 01:29 PM
ok thanks i know nothing about RO so i guess i have lots of reading to do. does anyone recommend a particular model. i need it portable so when i move i can take it with me.

Len
11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
That's excellent advice Paul. I got mine and it was rated for 100 GPD, and I'm lucky to get 1/3 of that. After looking into it further, that was the problem -- The ratings that are usually given were from conditions that aren't going to be present when you put it in use. Now the only option to add a booster pump to increase pressure to 100 psi.

Dogvet06
11-01-2012, 03:17 PM
ok silly question.... will water parameters be different depending on which faucet i get my water out of in my house? i tested the tap from kitchen faucet but i fill barrels with a source outside my house.

nwehrman
11-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Possible but probably not.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a volar
11-01-2012, 04:52 PM
ok silly question.... will water parameters be different depending on which faucet i get my water out of in my house? i tested the tap from kitchen faucet but i fill barrels with a source outside my house.

Whole house water will have same parameters.

nc0gnet0
11-02-2012, 08:29 AM
What is the PH of your water? Low Ph will retard bacterail growth.

Dogvet06
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
PH is around 7.5. I checked the oter barrel and nitrites are the same as the tap. So are you guys saying as long as fish look good and i have nitrates to break it down that it isnt a concern? Ro isnt necessary?