PDA

View Full Version : Which Anubias?

Elyse
11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Hello plant experts out there =)

I'm planning to purchase a number of Anubias plants from a local aquatic plant hobbyist.

He sent be a list of what he has and I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of which Anubias is the most well growing of this list.

I have one Anubias in my tank right now, though I don't know the exact species, and strangely it's fastest growing plant in my tank, sprouting a new leaf every week =)

Thanks for your help <3,
Elyse

Anubias barteri $4.00

Anubias congensis $4.00

Anubias barteri (Striped) $4.00

Anubias nana $4.00

Anubias minima $4.00

Anubias coffeefolia $4.50

Anubias lancolata $4.00

Anubias barteri (Short&Sharp) $4.00

Anubias barteri (Broad leaf) $4.50

pastry
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I can't answer your question but please tell me which one you have!!! because I've had 2 for 3-4 years and have about an inch or two per year each!!!!!!!!! LOVE their look but not getting much out of them.

shawnhu
11-03-2012, 01:39 AM
All anubias pretty much are slow growers. They key to having them grow is really keeping algae off their leaves and roots.

Depending on the size of your tank and fish, you can get the proper size to accentuate our tank. I have petite, nana, and several others. The petite is my favorite, since it makes my smaller tanks look huge.

xKevinx
11-03-2012, 06:06 AM
go with anubius nana i have some growing great in a tank its roots are attached to stump and rocks very easily. just use zap straps for the first month or so.maybe give em a bit of fert. too if they are small when u get em

quangfee
11-03-2012, 09:07 AM
go with anubius nana i have some growing great in a tank its roots are attached to stump and rocks very easily. just use zap straps for the first month or so.maybe give em a bit of fert. too if they are small when u get em
how long does it take for anubia's root attache to rock? Thanks

camuth8
11-03-2012, 10:18 AM
It takes a few months.

And to Elyse, I really like the Anubias barteri. It produces a lot of hiding spots for your Discus, too. :)

DiscusBR
11-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I have a low tech 80g tank with no CO2 and no ferts with a pool filter sand substrate. TThe only product I use for the plants is Flourish Excel (I also use it to control algae). I have a few anubias barteri in my driftwood and anubias lanceolata in the sand. The barteri are not thriving, but the lanceolata are. I hight recommend them.

xKevinx
11-03-2012, 09:53 PM
yup a couple months

mojosodope
11-04-2012, 02:29 AM
I have a low tech 80g tank with no CO2 and no ferts with a pool filter sand substrate. TThe only product I use for the plants is Flourish Excel (I also use it to control algae). I have a few anubias barteri in my driftwood and anubias lanceolata in the sand. The barteri are not thriving, but the lanceolata are. I hight recommend them.

I actually had a similar situation a couple months back, lanceolata grows great in pool filter sand, actually got a second plant out of it.

Elyse
11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Hey Pastry; 3-4 years, that’s awesome! These are hardy plants =) I think the reason why the one I have is sprouting leaves so fast, may be because of the Koralia Nano Pump I have blowing directly onto the roots 13 inches away. The plant is growing straight up despite the current =) The tank has been without CO2 for a month as well, the other plants stopped growing because of this but the anubias is still sprouting =) Although I think the current will prevent it from attaching to the rock...

Thanks Shawnhu, Ya, you’re right about the algae, strangely this anubias I have is the only plant in the tank with this algae problem =) it’s tedious getting in there with a toothbrush =)

Thanks Shawnhu, Xkevinx, Camuth8, Discus RB; I’ll get a couple each of the species you’ve suggested =D and add fertilizer to give them a good head start =D I’m so excited!!!!!!!!!

pastry
11-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Great great thread (at least for me). I've seen plenty of threads on anubias but this one helps me the most. thanks so much Elyse (and ALL)

Shawn, I'm doing a small tank soon and definitely getting the anubias you mentioned (thanks to what you put on here).

shawnhu
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Not a problem. It's one of the harder and rarer species, but if you can your hand on some, they look great!