PDA

View Full Version : Shmming/Leveling Tank - Do you think this is ok?

bonginator
11-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I am setting up a new 60 gallon glass tank and worked on trying to shim it to level it today. I ran into a bit of an issue with shimming it as the tank stand base itself is not completely level base against the floor - rather it has some cross members under the bottom of the stand so inserting shims under those cross members isn't very easy since they are not near the edges of the base. Also - the area that needs to be raised (a very little bit) is under the rear side of the tank against the wall so inserting shims there is also problematic.

Attached are photos of the level on my tank without any shims. Do you think this will be ok as is without shims?

These pictures were taken without any water in the tank. When I push on the stand, it does wobble ever so slightly due to hardwood floor but I suspect this will go away with water.

The tank is on a hardwood floor in my dining room and it is an Aqueon glass corner tank.

Thanks.

Sandy

Eddie
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not understanding why you can't shim the bottom of the stand?

bonginator
11-03-2012, 05:32 PM
The bottom of the stand is not flat against the floor. The stand actually has some very thin "legs" on it that are not near the edges of the stand so when I tried to insert the shims, they just slipped right under the edge of the stand with very little pressure. The legs are far enough away from the edges of the stand that I could only insert the shims where I can see the legs near the edge of the stand but not across the entire length of the "legs". The legs appear to be something like a split 2 x 4 that is underneath the stand but the stand base only sits about 1/4" or 1/8" above the floor.

I hope this helps explain why I can't shim it easily.

Eddie
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I guess I'd have to see it. :confused:

bonginator
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM
This is what it looks like at the base of the stand. The area to be shimmed up if required is the rear or the tank where it stands against the wall.

Since these boards run underneath the stand and offset from the edge of the stand, it is tough to get the shims in there - especially toward the rear of the tank against the wall.

Just trying to figure out if I really need to shim this or if I can get by with the level as shown in the pictures in my first post.7638176382

Wjmulder
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM
It sounds like the base of the cabinet is decorative only? If you can't shim from the outside you should place shims on the floor before placing the stand. If the stand is not stable without a full tank on it, you risk flexing and failure of the tank.

Wjmulder
11-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Well, I posted the same time as you. After seeing the pictures I can see the spot you need to shim so I don't get why you can't slide a shim under there. But if you can't, mark the floor where the pressure points are and place shims on the floor, then set the cabinet in place. Your pictures of level points show enough of a problem that I would work at getting it right.

Eddie
11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
It sounds like the base of the cabinet is decorative only? If you can't shim from the outside you should place shims on the floor before placing the stand. If the stand is not stable without a full tank on it, you risk flexing and failure of the tank.

Agree and surely there is a way to put a shim underneath with the help of some people to lift the stand.

bonginator
11-03-2012, 08:01 PM
OK - after further investigation, it doesn't appear that the boards underneath the stand run across the length of the stand. Rather, they are almost like feet - one at each corner. I shimmed the rear corner with one shim, and two of the front "legs" with two shims. Now the tank sits level and also doesn't rock/wobble.

Would you suggest filling it partway with water - 1/4 to 1/2 and then check the level again?

Do you think it is ok if I just shimmed the feet supporting the stand since the boards don't run the length of the base of the stand?

Wjmulder
11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
If it doesn't rock and reads level both directions your good, it shouldn't change with a full tank. As long as the originally designed feet are all solid, no need to shim other parts.