PDA

View Full Version : 100 gallon discus tank?

discusmatt20
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone. Im thinking about getting a 100 gallon tank for my discus, but im not sure if the dimensions are good or not. 72"L 18"W 19"T Will this tanks dimensions be ok? And if so how many discus could i do in here? If you could help me out that would be great. Thanks!

-Matt

Elliots
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
People on SD say one adult per ten gallons. Some say one adult per fifteen gallons. I have even read more than one per ten gallons. It really depends on the size of the fish, how much water you change, how often you change water, how often you feed your fish and what you feed your fish. I have no personal opinion because I have a planted community tank with Discus arriving within 30 days.

discus510
11-05-2012, 02:55 PM
i once had a tank close to tat size it was 72 x 18 x 24 and i had 16 discus in there all discus was about 5"+ also had some live plants in there too. i feed with pellets and frozen and live blood worms also with my self made beef heart (which i dont feed often) make water messy i do large water changes every 4 wks and small water changes every 7-10 days tank had 2 emperor 400 and 2 sponge filter

BoiseDiscusGuy
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
People on SD say one adult per ten gallons. Some say one adult per fifteen gallons. I have even read more than one per ten gallons. It really depends on the size of the fish, how much water you change, how often you change water, how often you feed your fish and what you feed your fish. I have no personal opinion because I have a planted community tank with Discus arriving within 30 days.
I agree with Elliots. I have a 100g with the same dimensions and it works great. Typically you could house 10 adult fish comfortably in that tank. If you have other fish in there, that will decrease the total amount of Discus proportunately

i once had a tank close to tat size it was 72 x 18 x 24 and i had 16 discus in there all discus was about 5"+ also had some live plants in there too. i feed with pellets and frozen and live blood worms also with my self made beef heart (which i dont feed often) make water messy i do large water changes every 4 wks and small water changes every 7-10 days tank had 2 emperor 400 and 2 sponge filter
I would not suggest this wc regimen... If you even had 10 adult fish in a 100g (let alone 16 in a 135g) Daily wc's are your best friend for happy, healthy Discus!

discusmatt20
11-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree with Elliots. I have a 100g with the same dimensions and it works great. Typically you could house 10 adult fish comfortably in that tank. If you have other fish in there, that will decrease the total amount of Discus proportunately

I would not suggest this wc regimen... If you even had 10 adult fish in a 100g (let alone 16 in a 135g) Daily wc's are your best friend for happy, healthy Discus!

Thanks for the help guys. The thing i was most worried about was the height? Is the hight fine with your discus? and would 12 discus be fine in there? no other fish, no plants, just drift wood.

BoiseDiscusGuy
11-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The thing i was most worried about was the height? Is the hight fine with your discus? and would 12 discus be fine in there? no other fish, no plants, just drift wood.
Yes the height is fine. Its still easy enough to get to the bottom to clean. You could probably push it to 12 fish but with a bioload that high, huge daily wc's would be a must!

discusmatt20
11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes the height is fine. Its still easy enough to get to the bottom to clean. You could probably push it to 12 fish but with a bioload that high, huge daily wc's would be a must!
Ok cool thanks. And or a really big canister filter ;)

discus6628
11-07-2012, 01:53 AM
I have similar setup with 100g and in progress of setting it up. Plan on have 12 discus with 4 of each kind. tank will be for display tank with sand, driftwood and some plants. Consider about 10 carnival tetra and 4 corries. hope full not too full. If so, will consider reduce 10 discus with the size of 4-4.5". WC will be about 2/3 of tank for each time. Will take some time to run hot & cold & drain pipe to right behind the tank in my living room. Hopefully will pay off after it complete by turn on/off on the valve for each WC. Sump will be use for the filter. Anyone have similar setup or suggestion. please let me know. thank you in advance.