PDA

View Full Version : new fish hiding in corner

kreekree
11-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Got 6 fish from a sponsor this weekend. LOVE them! However, in the tank they are are hiding in the corner (since Sunday). I have tried feeding them blood worms, black worms or discus pellets. Its like you can hear someone in the group say...Come on theres food...lets venture out but they continue to stay crammed in the corner. The temperature is 84 (should I crank it up some?) or just be patient. I want to see these guys all over the tank!

Dogvet06
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
It will take a little time to come out and be adventurous and learn you feeding schedule. How big are they? I keep my temp 85-86 to stimulate eating. If u just got them sunday they dont always want to eat in 24 hours also. Good luck!

camuth8
11-06-2012, 10:22 AM
It will take a little time to come out and be adventurous and learn you feeding schedule. How big are they? I keep my temp 85-86 to stimulate eating. If u just got them sunday they dont always want to eat in 24 hours also. Good luck!

+1

Poco
11-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Give them some time to adjust to the new surroundings and get over the stress of shipping. Make sure you take out any leftover food.

Second Hand Pat
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Also turn off the aquarium light if there is one on.

Kal-El
11-06-2012, 10:58 AM
That's normal for new fish. As mention turn of light keep temp between 84-86 and do light feeding until they start eating aggressively. They should be eating in no times. If they are adults it can take them up to a week or more to eat.

kreekree
11-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Kind of what I figured. Lights are off. I couldn't remember how long it took our first two adjust. I was lucky enough to actually pick up my fish from Mike in Columbus. We were driving home from a soccer tournament and made the. I had planned it a couple weeks before. Also bought two of his sponges and plopped those in the 75. Instant discus tank. :) The upstairs tank has two discus from a local fish store. One stunted turq and one blood red pigeon. Night and day with the quality and prices. Mike was awesome with my whole family there. Will never buy a discus except from a sponsor!

kreekree
11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know if anyone is OCD like I have been lately about reading as much as possible on this forum. I found it so helpful. So...I'm posting to let the newbies know that this afternoon 2 of the 6 fish I purchased have come out of hiding from Sunday. I still have the lights off but they are eating frozen blood worms. The other four have moved once to the other side of the tank and are now checking out that corner. Temp is now 85. It was actually the smallest discus that came out....his name is officially be given "Braveheart", Currently the bully of the group (the largest of the discus...blue diamond)who doesn't have the balls to come out of hiding but can bully in the corner my kids named "Big Blue" I'm sure there will be more names to follow....:) Thanks for all those that have replied to all my questions....