PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus, 30 gallon?

Thomas_L
11-10-2012, 01:26 AM
I've got a 30g aquarium (29.5" long x 12.5" out and 16" high)and I want happy healthy fish and I want to do it right. (So i came to a forum) I have about 2 years experience keeping fresh water fish (have a 15g planted tank and had a 10 gallon). Im just wonder what (if possible) combination of fish I could keep healthy in there and how many discus. From what I've read I am pretty sure it could be ok with a pair? Its got a small/med grade gravel with rock and fake plant decor and a 15w bar lamp.
I plan to buy more fake plants and add trimmings from my planted before setup.
Im not a complete moron and understand biological components to a fish tank but dont be afraid to give advise please! (I maybe be missing s
thanks for the time.
Also, discus breeders on Vancouver island?

tl;dr - Can discus be done in a 30 gallon aquarium? or should I do some thing else with it?

Dogvet06
11-10-2012, 01:47 AM
discus like to school so would be best to have a larger tank so u can have 5 or more. i would say minimum of 55 gallon tank. if u purchased some juvies u can use the 30 gal to grow them out a bit. there are lots of great stickies in the beginners threads on here that will help u out too. also if u are growing discus it will be harder with gravel and the fake plants. most grow out in a bare bottom tank due to the many water changes they need because they need to be fed so often. if u want adults then i wouldnt bother with the 30 gallon at all unless u get a group and a pair forms then u can use it as a breeder tank or sick tank

Trier20
11-10-2012, 03:29 AM
discus like to school so would be best to have a larger tank so u can have 5 or more. i would say minimum of 55 gallon tank. if u purchased some juvies u can use the 30 gal to grow them out a bit. there are lots of great stickies in the beginners threads on here that will help u out too. also if u are growing discus it will be harder with gravel and the fake plants. most grow out in a bare bottom tank due to the many water changes they need because they need to be fed so often. if u want adults then i wouldnt bother with the 30 gallon at all unless u get a group and a pair forms then u can use it as a breeder tank or sick tank

Well said Jaime! Keep the 30 for a quarantine/growout tank and get a 75. Read stickies and use the search for research. This place is full of great information and great people to help you on your way to keeping discus. Good luck!

camuth8
11-10-2012, 10:23 AM
+2

Thomas_L
11-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the reply's. If i want to do some thing, ill do it right. Ive been burned so many times by breaking the rules haha. Im making a community tank out of the 30 for now.