PDA

View Full Version : Why do YOU love discus so much?

bonginator
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I was thinking about why I am drawn to discus and like them so much and that for me wondering about why others like them too.

Please post the reasons you love discus (preferably in order of importance to you)

My reasons (in order - most important at top)

- the way they peacefully float through the water column. (very calming to me)
- their unique/ interesting breeding habits
- the endless color varieties available
- the challenge of keeping/ breeding them - a great learning experience

ashtricks
11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Some times you just fall in love! :) Everything seems nice! Even their tonnes of poop!!

camuth8
11-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I really love their colors! They look amazing!

tonytheboss1
11-10-2012, 11:58 AM
:bandana: After a tense 'knock down - drag out' day, Discus are extremely soothing to watch while sipping some 'Jack' & listening to a bit of 'Miles'. (I know some of you younger ones have no frame of reference but trust me it's good) lol lol!!! "T"

Wes
11-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Graceful~~~~~ Soothing~~~~~~~~~~~ They have personality~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and I like a challenge.

Chicago Discus
11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I love the way they get excited to see you like a pet dog and the way they respond to human kindness. its like having a room full of bliss. Their many different personalities and funny quirks, the way they care for and protect their young. The relationship and teamwork that pairs have for one another and there fry(out doing most human parents). They give me much more then I can ever give back and I'm honored to be a part of their little lives.........Josie

Trier20
11-10-2012, 05:23 PM
My fish are my escape from the world for a few hours a day and they really help me relieve stress. They keeping me from hitting idiots at work :) lol!

Moon
11-10-2012, 05:35 PM
:bandana: After a tense 'knock down - drag out' day, Discus are extremely soothing to watch while sipping some 'Jack' & listening to a bit of 'Miles'. (I know some of you younger ones have no frame of reference but trust me it's good) lol lol!!! "T"

Totally agree. One exception; single malt instead of Jack

Trier20
11-11-2012, 01:27 AM

mmmmmmm scotch! love me some The Macallan or Balvenie:)

tonytheboss1
11-11-2012, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Moon

mmmmmmm scotch! love me some The Macallan or Balvenie

-Brandon
Discus.....The best cult i've been apart of!

:bandana: Ahhhh yes. Good choices all! I've blown the dust off a bottle of Macallan Sherry Oak for my special 'Scotch' company. J D Single Barrel is my poison. "T"

bonginator
11-11-2012, 03:23 AM
I think I need to rename this thread "what do you LOVE about scotch"....:o

lane mechtel
11-11-2012, 09:35 AM
They are the only fish I have ever kept that I can watch for hours at a time. No tv in the living room just my tank. Oh and I do love scotch but most the time its rum and coke.

bonginator
11-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Nice. And for me it is Wild Turkey, Makers Mark or G&T (tanqueray of course!). Never would have put this on my discus love list but I do see the connection now...

catgoldfish
11-11-2012, 01:44 PM
1. Colours
2. Peacefulness
3. Watching them grow up

Nothing better than coming home from work and watching them instead of TV!

Dogvet06
11-11-2012, 03:35 PM
They are a great distraction to all the troubles in my life. They help me forget the pain, emotional and physical. They are beautiful and social creatures and I hope they are here for a long time :)

shoveltrash
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
I love the way they get excited to see you like a pet dog and the way they respond to human kindness. its like having a room full of bliss. +1 :)
and their beauty.....

terps
11-12-2012, 09:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlLLc6ZP8H8

Just saw this video on youtube. The certainly are fun to watch.

Moon
11-12-2012, 11:11 PM
mmmmmmm scotch! love me some The Macallan or Balvenie:)

I'll take both of them with a good cigar

Trier20
11-13-2012, 01:34 AM
I'll take both of them with a good cigar

Like a nice grey cliff reserve :) Ora CAO vision

Moon
11-13-2012, 01:27 PM
A cohiba is my favourite. We can get Cuban cigars in Canada

Trier20
11-13-2012, 08:12 PM
A cohiba is my favourite. We can get Cuban cigars in Canada

I have a friend who has a friend who's is higher ranking police officer that has a hook up on cuban cigars. :)

Sman
11-13-2012, 09:30 PM
My Discus just make me happy ... I love to just tune everything out and watch them watch me .

GrayLadyPat
11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
I have a high-stress job.

I also have fish.

I never had discus until this past weekend. Through a tragedy, I got my first ones, and...

I'm in loooooooooooooooooooooooove.... I could watch them for hours... Trying to figure out how much trouble it would be to move my recliner to face the tank without blocking the TV for everyone else....

And instead of scotch, I'll take a glass of Pinot Grigio or if I am in the mood for a red, a good CA Zinfandel...

Cheers from the Old Lady!

Moon
11-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I too love a good CA Zin.