PDA

View Full Version : Here's my new tank take 2 journal

kreekree
11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
First time taking on the challenge of discus. I orginally started with a underground filter system, gravel, decorations and was told my the local fish that discus were so easy to raise you could raise them in toliet! My son who is 11 thought they were beautiful so we were sold. We paid $40 a piece for two 2.5 inch discus. A Red pigeon blood and a Blue cobalt we brought home. Both of us were thrilled when we came home and started searching what our two discus would grow up to look like. THEN.....Momma had some time and began to research.

Low and behold we forsure had one stunted blue turk and a peppered red pigeon blood :( I then removed the underground filter system and gravel, bought two sponge filters and went bare bottom and cranked my temperature up to 85. The red pigeon blood began to grow and the blue cobalt remained odd looking and occasionally ate. Kept reading and took up bike riding at the gym so that I could read every forum on this page. I have gone back pages and pages obsessing over these discus.

I started searching on craigslist for a bigger tank knowing also that 40 gallon high wasn't going to cut it along with owning two discus. Someone posted a 90 gallon tank for $40...sold! Came with a stand, no hood and needed some cleaning. The tank looked huge when I went to pick it up compared to my 40 high. Brought it home and measured it....55 gallon...yeah the dude lied! Well at least it was a 55 which I figured was a good start since my reading said to at least start with a 55. Filled the tank half way and it started leaking:mad: Again the dude lied...nice! Looked like an easy fit so I scrapped the silicone and resealed it. Yeah me! Then I started researching for tank lids....yeah not worth the money. Again I started researching and came upon a 75 gallon tank on craigslist with a lid, heater, filter system etc for $75:D This time I measured the tank before I left, was told I could bring it back if it leaked for my money back. SOLD!

In the meantime my 2 discus were still doing well in the 40 gallon tank. Mr. Pigeon was now 3.5 inches and the blue cobalt remains dark and 2.5 inches with once a day water changes. 75 gallon tank was cleaned and set up was started. It was going to be a display tank in our family room. I found my pool sand and put a very thin, thin layer, 2 pieces of driftwood and some fake silk plants attached to the driftwood so I can easily move them when cleaning. Ordered some black worms from Ken along with two jag heaters, digital therometer controller, Kens flake food, 2 air pumps, 2 more sponges....Next was to find myself a sponsor.

Going to Colubus for a soccer tournament....Mike was just around the corner and would be the perfect stop on our way home. Mike Beals was the lucky winner to deal with my family of four :D. For the next couple weeks I continued to read and read. Decided I would buy two more sponges from Mike so that my tank would be perfect biologically since my plan was to fill them only with his fish. My plan was to go with 4-5 discus from Mike. We showed up after the tournament where Mike welcomed us ALL into his house. He was very patient and answered all of my questions. He also gave us some GREAT deals! We came home with SIX discus which were ALL beautiful! No goofy looking discus from Mike. Set the tank up with Mike sponges and filled the rest of the tank. Lights reamined off for a couple days and everyone basically hid in the corner.

Its now been one week today and these guys are swimming around like crazy with the lights on and eating. The only problem I have is that I do have some bully's that pick on one discus. Water changes have been once a day 60% with a wipe down daily. I am feeding them tetra color bits (which Mikes fish do not like at this point). Mikes fish were use to blood worms but I'm trying to get them off of that some. I am trying to get them to like black worms and Kens flake food right now. I also went against the rules and added the pigeon blood into the tank along with three cory's yesterday. The pigeon has been healthy and Mikes discus were doing great. I know many would disagree with my choice but took the plunge and will document what happens. As for the other ugly guy (blue turq) my plan is to keep him in that tank for now and to try and fatten him up. I also have some lemon tetras in there along with cardinals that I plan to add later into the 75. Thats my story.........here's some pictures of the 75764497645076451

bonginator
11-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Methinks you have been bitten by the D bug! Looks like you are off to a good start.

Poco
11-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Juvies are looking good!

pastry
11-11-2012, 05:37 PM
you CAN raise them in a toilet... just make sure it's a large toilet with 10 gallons of water per fish, have the right water parameters, keep it bare, do daily water changes, have a healthy variation of food, ... and don't poop in it :D

kreekree
11-11-2012, 07:16 PM
you CAN raise them in a toilet... just make sure it's a large toilet with 10 gallons of water per fish, have the right water parameters, keep it bare, do daily water changes, have a healthy variation of food, ... and don't poop in it :D

HAHAAHA.... ;)

Wes
11-11-2012, 07:25 PM
you CAN raise them in a toilet... just make sure it's a large toilet with 10 gallons of water per fish, have the right water parameters, keep it bare, do daily water changes, have a healthy variation of food, ... and don't poop in it :D Elliot is right>
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/fish_tank_toilet_1.jpg

Eddie
11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Nice group of fish! I like the turq a lot.

Definitely keep an eye on the group since you only added the pigeon yesterday. It can sometimes take a little bit for anything severe to hit the group and if the pigeon has anything internal, you won't see those effects until later down the road.

kreekree
11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Fish are all doing well. Some are still hiding and I haven't really seen them each much but I'm currently trying to get them to all ear the tetra bits. Only one will eat them (the one from the fish store locally). The rest of the discus were fed blood worms. I have tried to hold off on the blood worms as I noticed one or two planara in the tank a couple days ago. I have been changing at least 60% of the water daily and wiping down the sides. When I change the water I am siphoning it all.

My question is how many days do I go without feeding them anything but the tetra bits. They watch the one fish eat them like a pig. I eventually would think they would catch on right? I feel guilty not offering the blood worms when I know I could get everyone to eat that. I have fed them the freeze dried black worms as well but feel like it makes the water dirty too. I would like to get them on the tetra bits and then everything else later on.

How many days do I go before I give in to my rebels??

kreekree
11-15-2012, 05:33 PM
I feel so EVIL! Still trying to get them to eat the tetra bits. Two of the seven eat but the rest of them which are bigger are holding out! Its driving me nuts because I want to give in. Temp is 85...should I go higher?

kreekree
11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Going on 5 days now without feeding them anything but tetrabits. Only two are eating it and the rest refuse? Do I stay strong and not give in? Temp is still 85...Otherwise everyone is fine and swimming. Just stubborn fish which are driving me NUTS!!

Second Hand Pat
11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Stay strong you can win this :D

kreekree
11-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm trying Pat but I feel like they are my little kids and I'm being evil!

At least they are not throwing a tantrum like a two year old screaming and throwing themselves all over the floor yelling I want bloodworms!!!!!!

kreekree
11-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Day 6 and my rebels are still going strong!!!! Damn fish they stress me out! I thought they were going to relax me. I will relax when they EAT what I serve them (tetrabits)!!! I can hear them singing "with a rebel yell we cried MORE MORE MORE" or the song "We're not going to take it"

kreekree
11-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Going on Day 7 of feeding tetrabits! I noticed a new one try the tetrabits today. The two that have eaten before continue. I am now up to 3 out of 7 eating. Maybe its just me but they seem to be getting a little more agressive so maybe thats a good sign that they are finally getting hungry. I went one day without doing a water change (I felt guilty but wanted to see for my own piece of mind that they would be fine). I'm going to do a big water change today. Maybe that will stimulate some hunger????

kreekree
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Day 8...today I increased the temperature to 88 degrees. They are fiesty! Lots of display of dominance. I added a couple of the tetrabits and only the usual 3 went for it :( I then decided to wet some of my freeze dried worms and crushed some of the tetrabits into it??? I then formed a crushed ball of tetrabits and black worms. I held it in my hand and then eventually let it sink down. One of the other fish (the biggest one went nuts)! I could be onto something??? They are obviously super hungry so maybe by mixing the tetrabits into the worms they will eventually start eating the tetrabits?

kreekree
11-23-2012, 09:17 AM
So I have smart little discus! The three still are the only ones that eat the tetra bits. I need to become more of a hard *** and stop feeling guilty. I caved and gave them the freeze drid black worms and they learned to separate the worms from the tetrabits. I think when I go on vacation and they are not fed anything for a week I will be attempt to come back and try this again. In the meantime I will feed them tetrabits first thing in the morning and cross my fingers that someone will start liking it.

I have noticed that my python (100ft) does suck up the big poop but I'm wondering what the rest of you do with display tanks (pool sand) and the smaller poop (cory poop). The python seems to suck up stuff but I feel like the cory poop is not getting sucked up??? I tried using my other siphon thats smaller but it still does not seem to suck everything. I know that many would say BB but I like the pool sand in the display tank so any ideas that help you sift through the pool sand would be appreciated.