PDA

View Full Version : Was upgrading tank size a mistake?

keegee1012
11-12-2012, 05:22 AM
I wanted to start over, so I sold most of my fish, except for an adult marbled angel and a pair of juvenile Hi-fin Pigeon discus, I recently converted to a 200 gallon. New tankmates include three more angels (A platinum, philippine blue, and a smokey), a blue acara, a pair of german blue rams, a golden severum, and a bolivian ram. I've added everything at the same time.

After some time, one of my discus began to boss everything around it. I thought the acara would be the one to boss it first. The opposite happened. The acara and the severums are scared by a smaller discus. The discus also bother some of the angels. So I was wondering if I did anything wrong.

Im also curious if I could still add some smaller fish as dither fish as my new angelfish.

Cullymoto
11-12-2012, 09:13 AM
If i'm reading this right you have only 2 discus in there?
Your problem is numbers, less than 6 discus in an environmnent will cause them to be stressed. They show this stress as aggression towards anything they can. The exception is when you get a mating pair from a group.
I bet you that if you added more discus things would calm down.
You can try to seperate the aggressive fish with a devider for a day or so, let it out while supervising.

camuth8
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
That's also in there nature too. They are cichlids and cichlids can get bossy at times.