PDA

View Full Version : Prime with carbon

ashtricks
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi All,

I have put carbon in my canister, and starting a fishless cycle. I am trying to find out whether carbon will affect the effectiveness of prime.... any idea?
:confused:

ashtricks
11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Seems that carbon will remove some ammonia and inhibit cycling..... Even the instruction on the bottle of Prime don't say anything about carbon... I guess I will just stop being lazy and remove the carbon... till it cycles....

Eddie
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Why are you using carbon at all?

ashtricks
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Why are you using carbon at all?
LOL... just being lazy... I had a bag lying around and put it in.... I will take it out now....
I love carbon filtering though.... esp when it is used to purify the bourbon! :D

Eddie
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
LOL... just being lazy... I had a bag lying around and put it in.... I will take it out now....
I love carbon filtering though.... esp when it is used to purify the bourbon! :D

lol, yeah....for bourbon purification it might be useful. Use other media to help boost your bio-filtration.

ashtricks
11-12-2012, 09:03 PM
lol, yeah....for bourbon purification it might be useful. Use other media to help boost your bio-filtration.
Yeah... I have fluval prefilter media, then a bigger pore sponge, ceramic bio media and a polyfil pad in the canister. I am also thinking of adding a bunch of surface plants in small inverted soda bottles stuck to the walls. Mostly water lily/ red lotus for shade and might float a bunch of water wysteria or water sprite. As time passes, some how I need to get a handle on the bioload of discus and that consumed by a plant....

ashtricks
11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Oh, and I forgot a seeded sponge from kenny, and a couple of sponges cycling right now.... getting in shape for firday welcome of my bunch...

Eddie
11-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Oh, and I forgot a seeded sponge from kenny, and a couple of sponges cycling right now.... getting in shape for firday welcome of my bunch...

Cool! Post pics!