PDA

View Full Version : Whew, what a day

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Woke up to a colicing horse, a horse owner worst's nightmare. Jake, my 26 year old arab gelding was lying prone in the pasture. So first call work, will not be in for a while. Grab halter and lead, get horse up and first off, nice big moist poop...very good. All horse wants to do is lay down...not good. Horse people are like fish people, live by the poop. Call vet and leave a message.

While walking horse vet's wife calls back. Vet is away on other farm calls so I give Lynn the low down on the horse. She's says, not so bad. First get baking soda/water mix to the horse and to come get pain meds. So I send hubby off for pain meds and I give the baking soda/water mix to Jake like a paste wormer in a syringe.

While waiting for hubby to return Jake is getting more uncomfortable. Laying prone with a slow roll now and again. Lynn said to not walk him but he sure is not happy. Finally Tom returns and I grab a shot and give it to Jake. 30 minutes to take effect. While I wait the 30 minutes Lynn calls back and says once the pain meds kick in it will be time to give a cold water enema...I say what :(

This is something I have never done so Lynn describes how to do it and I say ok in a rather small voice. So I prep the hose as this will have to be done in the front yard as the hose is not that long. Go to get Jake and he is a much happier horse. He is still lying but with head up and alert. So I grab the lead and Jake gets up. I walk him to the front yard expect him to lay down again but he remains on his feet so I tie him off. Tom and I do the deed and at the moment Jake is eating hay with his son out in the hay ring. It will be oil and mash for the next 24 hours but so far all is well.

I know this is a fish forum but fish people and horse people are a lot alike...right Tara and Trish.

wdeleon01
11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh my Pat, that sounds like a full morning. I HOPE he gets better. I wouldnt think of doing an enema on the fish though :p.

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
wow good for you! glad Jake is feeling better. its been 6 yrs since I dealt with horses so i wouldnt have been much help :(

fattubwhale
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Talk about having your hands full o_O.... Hope he gets better!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

pastry
11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
That'll teach him to act sick to get pain killers again... :p

ZX10R
11-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I hope you have a lot of this around after you were done :D
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/Untamable_Beast/GERMX_Waterless_Hand_Sanitizer.jpg

Glad to hear he is feeling better I know he is in good hands

Disgirl
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Gee what a morning Pat! Does this mean he was constipated? If so then I guess he is too big for an Epsom Salt bath huh? Just a little humor. Glad he is better and you learned a new technique!
Barb

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Oh my Pat, that sounds like a full morning. I HOPE he gets better. I wouldnt think of doing an enema on the fish though :p.

Too small Walter, a horse is a lot bigger :crazy:

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
wow good for you! glad Jake is feeling better. its been 6 yrs since I dealt with horses so i wouldnt have been much help :(

It sure helps to have Tom at the head. No way I could have done it by myself. Jake likes to move.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Talk about having your hands full o_O.... Hope he gets better!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Agreed Pierre and me too.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
That'll teach him to act sick to get pain killers again... :p

Well Elliot that is one way of looking at it.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I hope you have a lot of this around after you were done :D
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/Untamable_Beast/GERMX_Waterless_Hand_Sanitizer.jpg

Glad to hear he is feeling better I know he is in good hands

I did Sean. I did not get the stones mailed yet :( sorry

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Gee what a morning Pat! Does this mean he was constipated? If so then I guess he is too big for an Epsom Salt bath huh? Just a little humor. Glad he is better and you learned a new technique!
Barb

Thanks Barb, more like a bit gassy.

pcsb23
11-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Glad it's sorted Pat :)

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
in school we had to roll a horse all over a yard b/c they didnt have the funds for a colic surgery. it was a sight to see and took many people to flip that horse over and over. i cant remember but I dont think attempts were successful. nothing like giving them mineral oil concoction through a nose tube too!

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Glad it's sorted Pat :)

Thanks Paul

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
in school we had to roll a horse all over a yard b/c they didnt have the funds for a colic surgery. it was a sight to see and took many people to flip that horse over and over. i cant remember but I dont think attempts were successful. nothing like giving them mineral oil concoction through a nose tube too!

That is the normal treatment here Jaimie. I guess I do not see how flipping a horse over in such a manner would help with a colic. Normally they do not want a horse to roll, right? to keep from twisting the gut.

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 04:40 PM
well if they are twisted the theory was to flip it in opposite direction. but how lucky can u be to roll it the right way :/

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 06:11 PM
Has that ever worked Jaimie?

Jake is happily eating his mash/oil mix and has returned to his happy, hungry self. I do need to watch him tonight but I feel we are good. :)

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
yes it works but who knows if they just get lucky. but i dont have a lot of horse experience outside of school. they scare me lol. but they are beautiful!

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
This is Jake with his favorite human. This horse is 26 years old. Not bad for an old man.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/jake.jpg

and Jake this afternoon.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/DSC_0389.jpg

Teshi
11-13-2012, 06:25 PM
What a beautiful horse, Glad to hear he's doing better now.

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 06:34 PM
what a handsome guy!

YSS
11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Wow! So, what causes colic in a horse? So, he's good to go?

wdeleon01
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Wow such a beautiful horse.

discuspaul
11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I bet Jake sure knows who fixed him up today, and appreciates it !
Good work, Pat - glad that good-looking horse is eating well again.

ronald sherman
11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
i had horses at a stable for over 12 yr's would still have the last 1 except right after my mother died my dog died a few week's after and i went out after seeling my first 1 and bought 1 of the sable owner who i new 4 yr's as i couldn't take care of my first 1 after my mom died then my dog, i went out and thought that getting a horse with all the care they need would take my mind off thing well long story short 10 day's after buying the horse the horse woke up in the stall couldn't get up and was breather very rapidly and it's heart bet was double what it should be after the vet i normally used was on vaction track down a different vet after she came out and check her out the bad new the horse has strangles a resp infection 20 G of pen g bid, twice a day with genimicim i believe which was 60 buck's a day of med long story short after having the vet there 3 times in 2 week's having a lung culture done as the horse was not antibotic respondcive the horse had too be put down so i lost my mother who went in the hosp 4 just a 2 hr procedure angioplastic dr pefrated 2nd artery was on life support 10 day, then the dog, then horse this was many many yr's ago my weight went from 160 too down too 110 in a little over 2 month's btw a preying 4 the horse but what i know horses getting what ur horse has in 24 hr's 99.9 recover with 24hr

ronald sherman
11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
alot of times what causes it properl;y not the cause with you but not getting fed properly, from what i heard the vet tell someone

shoveltrash
11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh Pat! That is a horse owners worse nightmare. I'm so sorry.....but glad Jake is better. I love the photos :), he is a beautiful horse (I'm partial to greys!).

And yes, horse people are like fish people :D - both blessed :angel:

Eddie
11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Wow, I can honestly say...you are one brave woman Pat! I couldn't have done it! LOL Glad to hear the horse is doing better.

TNT77
11-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Love the mineral oil & electrolyte concoction best. Plus siphoning out the stomach helps alot. But nothing like a trailer ride to get most horses going.
Pat 30 min on the Banamine? Did you give it im or iv?
When was the last time he got a dose of sand blast? We always gave our pasture horses a dose of it at least once a year. You would be surprised how much sand they digest with the grass.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Tara, im on the Banamine. I de-sand every three months. Vet said there have been eight colics the last couple of days so blaming the weather.

TNT77
11-13-2012, 10:49 PM
He looks great for his age. Looks like he is an old school bred arab. They are much smarter dependable horses than these new taller flighty bred ones.

Dogvet06
11-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Yup always the weather! I remember bein on call in school and was happy it was at a pretty stable weather time.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 11:32 PM
What a beautiful horse, Glad to hear he's doing better now.

Thanks Margaret :)

what a handsome guy!

Thank you too Jaimie

Wow! So, what causes colic in a horse? So, he's good to go?

Yun, colic is any impaction along the gut. Horses are walking, eating machines in that they are meant to walk and eat. People came along and confined them to stalls or small pens which limits their movement. We feed them one or two huge meals a day all which can cause or lead to an impaction. As humans we can help to avoid colic by allowing them access to larger pasture areas with grass or free choice hay 24/7, plenty of water and two small feedings of a pelleted or sweet feed. I do all this and this is my second colic in 15 years of keeping horses. The first colic was caused by a bad core in a hay round.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Wow such a beautiful horse.

Thanks Walter

I bet Jake sure knows who fixed him up today, and appreciates it !
Good work, Pat - glad that good-looking horse is eating well again.

That would be Tom Paul, I was doing the dirty work and Tom was rubbing Jake on the head and neck which he loves.

i had horses at a stable for over 12 yr's would still have the last 1 except right after my mother died my dog died a few week's after and i went out after seeling my first 1 and bought 1 of the sable owner who i new 4 yr's as i couldn't take care of my first 1 after my mom died then my dog, i went out and thought that getting a horse with all the care they need would take my mind off thing well long story short 10 day's after buying the horse the horse woke up in the stall couldn't get up and was breather very rapidly and it's heart bet was double what it should be after the vet i normally used was on vaction track down a different vet after she came out and check her out the bad new the horse has strangles a resp infection 20 G of pen g bid, twice a day with genimicim i believe which was 60 buck's a day of med long story short after having the vet there 3 times in 2 week's having a lung culture done as the horse was not antibotic respondcive the horse had too be put down so i lost my mother who went in the hosp 4 just a 2 hr procedure angioplastic dr pefrated 2nd artery was on life support 10 day, then the dog, then horse this was many many yr's ago my weight went from 160 too down too 110 in a little over 2 month's btw a preying 4 the horse but what i know horses getting what ur horse has in 24 hr's 99.9 recover with 24hr

alot of times what causes it properl;y not the cause with you but not getting fed properly, from what i heard the vet tell someone

Sorry to hear Ronald

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh Pat! That is a horse owners worse nightmare. I'm so sorry.....but glad Jake is better. I love the photos :), he is a beautiful horse (I'm partial to greys!).

And yes, horse people are like fish people :D - both blessed :angel:

Trish, love you last statement. :)

Wow, I can honestly say...you are one brave woman Pat! I couldn't have done it! LOL Glad to hear the horse is doing better.

Thanks Eddie, horses are like anything else. You try and stay as safe as possible.

Second Hand Pat
11-13-2012, 11:41 PM
He looks great for his age. Looks like he is an old school bred arab. They are much smarter dependable horses than these new taller flighty bred ones.

He is definitely old school Tara and quite a beautiful little arab. He looks awesome under saddle. Khayel is one of the taller flighty ones but he has a great spook in place.

Kingdom Come Discus
11-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Just read this Pat. I am glad it all worked out. Very nice horse for sure!!!

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Just read this Pat. I am glad it all worked out. Very nice horse for sure!!!

Thanks Kraig

DiscusLoverJeff
11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Hiya Pat,

Sorry to hear about the horse, but I am glad he is better. The things we do as pet owners is incredible. I am sure none of us would hesitate on taking care of our pets, no matter the circumstance, you did good!!!!!

Glad all is better.

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Hiya Pat,

Sorry to hear about the horse, but I am glad he is better. The things we do as pet owners is incredible. I am sure none of us would hesitate on taking care of our pets, no matter the circumstance, you did good!!!!!

Glad all is better.

Agreed Jeff and thanks :)

Northwoods Discus
11-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey Pat have not been around for a while. Saw this and of course had to see what was going on. I treated hundreds of colics in my time as a horse vet. There are many different reasons for colic. Colic is a general term for abdominal pain. Changes in feed and feeding routine, toxic plants, sand, parasites etc.
In your case I would be strongly suspecting sand as a primary cause. Looking at the pics your pasture appears to be very sandy. I used to be able to hear the sand in the gut with a stethoscope while listening for GI sounds. You listen on the bottom lower most area of the abdomen. It sounds a little like a seashell, or shifting sand.
I treated by tubing with mineral oil one gallon at a time through a NG tube. I did it once daily for 3 days or until all sand sound was gone. I saw one so full of sand once it live in a little yard and it was pooping sand castles.
I had one client plow there pasture too keep any vegetation out. If there is sparse grass or weeds they will uproot them and eat a lot of sand with the roots. It worked well for prevention. Sand Blast type products are helpful. Don't feed on the ground. Good luck to you, your doing a good job having him look so good at 26 years old.

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Bill, while I can not really rule out sand but do not suspect it for the following two reasons; one is I de-sand every three months and the horses are not due for another eight weeks or so. The second is my vet indicated he had treated eight colics in the last couple of days and suspected the weather to have a contributing factor.

Regarding feed and hay these guys get a complete senior feed. It is Seminole Senior Wellness which is a complete low-starch semi-sweet with a high fat content. Each horse is bucket feed (off the ground) in his own stall. They also have access to free choice hay which is either a round in a hayring or squares in their stalls depending on rain. Except during feeding time they are not stall-kept and have access to about a 3 acre area 24/7.

Northwoods Discus
11-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't think weather in itself can cause colic. There may be some change that weather causes to occur such as decreased or increased pasture value. Change in the makeup of the forage. 3 acres is very small. I did have a client with about the same size paddock area that had sparse vegetation that had constant issues with sand. Problem resolved when we kept it plowed to prevent the horses picking and pulling weeds up by the roots. It seems with horses that no matter how much pasture you give them they can destroy every bit of vegetation. You would need large pastures such as 40 acres or more and rotate them to keep them growing well.
Again there are many reasons for colic. I never treated any of them with enemas though. Lots of colics are mild and respond to the pain management. As you know they can also be severe and I have seen some violent bad cases.
You may want to treat them more often for the sand. Just a thought for prevention that can't hurt them. Another way you can check for sand is to take some manure that has not fallen in the sand and place it in a bucket with water and break it down. Sand will go to the bottom. Like panning for gold. It is subjective on the amount but you may want to check.