PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded from 26 gallon to 55 gallon!!

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone, im new to the site...i recently got rid of my 26 gallon tank which included 1 discus fish, 1 black molly, 2 angel fish, and 1 neon tetra. I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and basically just swapped everything over including all the fish, plants, rocks, heater, and even all 26 gallons of water, and just filled the rest of the tank up with new water. I had to buy a new filter since the one i had was only good for 30 gallons. When I setup the 55 gallon tank I ran the new filter(good for 75 gallons) and the old filter for basically one and a half days until i found someone to buy my old setup so I had to remove the 30 gallon filter setup. My tank is now showing low signs of ammonia like between .25-.50 but I never had it showing up before my old tank...My question is how long should it take for this new tank to grow the bacteria being that I had everything from the old tank in the new one including the water? I just recently purchased a new discus fish which is smaller than my older discus and dont want to lose him!

Wes
11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
6 weeks to fully cycle. May take a little less time when you squeeze old sponge into new filter. Keep up water changes. May want to get some of this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96202-PURE-AQUARIUM-bacteria-is-here. it may quicken the cycle.

Eddie
11-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone, im new to the site...i recently got rid of my 26 gallon tank which included 1 discus fish, 1 black molly, 2 angel fish, and 1 neon tetra. I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank and basically just swapped everything over including all the fish, plants, rocks, heater, and even all 26 gallons of water, and just filled the rest of the tank up with new water. I had to buy a new filter since the one i had was only good for 30 gallons. When I setup the 55 gallon tank I ran the new filter(good for 75 gallons) and the old filter for basically one and a half days until i found someone to buy my old setup so I had to remove the 30 gallon filter setup. My tank is now showing low signs of ammonia like between .25-.50 but I never had it showing up before my old tank...My question is how long should it take for this new tank to grow the bacteria being that I had everything from the old tank in the new one including the water? I just recently purchased a new discus fish which is smaller than my older discus and dont want to lose him!

Did you keep any of the media from your old filter? I would have used in the new one.

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
No it was a different filter I bought so the old sponge and filter wouldn't fit into new one but I poured the water from the old one into the new one

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
There are my levels
Ammonia - looks like its between .25-.50ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - looks like its between 20-40ppm
Ph - 7.8

Eddie
11-13-2012, 11:20 PM
No it was a different filter I bought so the old sponge and filter wouldn't fit into new one but I poured the water from the old one into the new one

The water is just water, the bio bed was established on the media and surfaces of the filter. Usually when you want to jump start a new filter, you run it with the old filter and its usually good after about 3-4 weeks.

High nitrates, does your tap have nitrates?

Wes
11-13-2012, 11:24 PM
The water from the old tank brought waste into the new one, turning into ammonia. The good bacteria is on the rocks and will multiply, but it takes time. Seeding the new filter from the old filter helps shorten the cycle.

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 11:29 PM
The water from the old tank brough waste into the new one, turning into ammonia. The good bacteria is on the rocks and will multiply, but it takes time. Seeding the new filter from the old filter helps shorten the cycle.

bad move by me...i ended up selling my old tank setup with the filter and media! would it be bad if i changed 5 or 10 gallons a day until its normal?

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
The water is just water, the bio bed was established on the media and surfaces of the filter. Usually when you want to jump start a new filter, you run it with the old filter and its usually good after about 3-4 weeks.

High nitrates, does your tap have nitrates?

actually just tested it and yes....my tap water is reading 5.0ppm

Wes
11-13-2012, 11:34 PM
I would change 50% every day.

jdmdelsol93
11-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I would change 50% every day.
ok i was scared if that was to much but it shouldn't be a problem then huh?

Wes
11-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I did 80% water changes on my growouts every day for their 1st year. On days I fed beefheart I also did another 25 to 50% water change that day. I don't think you can change to much water.

jdmdelsol93
11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
That's good to know thanks for the quick replys! This forum is a big help!

Eddie
11-16-2012, 07:55 AM
actually just tested it and yes....my tap water is reading 5.0ppm

So it will be difficult to know if your filter is cycled since you have nitrates in your tap.

jdmdelsol93
11-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I found this product called one and only live nitrifying bacteria and it worked great!! It's definetly helping speed up the cycle so far my ammonia dropped from 4.0 ppm to .50 ppm since I poured it in on this passed Sunday. I'm sowing signs of nitrite now which should mean the cycle is moving quicker! Fish are all doing ok and I'm doing water changes every 2 days now hopefully by next week it's back to normal!

jdmdelsol93
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
tanks back to normal! Amm is at 0 as is nitrite!!! that nitrifying bacteria stuff worked perfect!