PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Setup for 125g Discus Show Tank

svavrek
11-15-2012, 05:12 PM
So, looking at installing a nice RO/DI system but want to know what I need... I have a 125 gallon tank that I am making a nice show tank for Discus... and I have a smaller Reef tank (20g nano) and need RO/DI water for THAT (I currently bum from a friend)... so I want to install my own setup. Looking @ the 50 GPD Coralife setup, wondering if that's any good and how easy they are to install/setup... thanks.

Dogvet06
11-15-2012, 05:57 PM
i can only tell u, u will need more than the 50gpd for a 125 gallon tank. they dont usually yield the max gpd and u will need at least 50 gallons for each water change. i know others will chime in with the rest

svavrek
11-15-2012, 06:08 PM
I guess my concern is I have no clue how they work... I figure 25 gallons per day would be sufficient, and I would just store the water in a 55 gallon plastic drum and pump it when I need it... soooo based on your reply, I'm guessing the 25 GPD units don't yield a true 25 GPD?

Dogvet06
11-15-2012, 06:15 PM
are u planning on having adults or young discus? young require daily water changes and i have a 90 gallon tank i change 50 gallons a day on. i forget but i think it has something to do with the temperature of the water and the membrane which makes the amt per day yield variable so i was told i needed a 100 gal per day min to make sure i had my 50 that i need

svavrek
11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, the tank is being set up now, I will be going (likely) to Rocky Mountain Discus since it's a close drive (4 hours) to pick up 2-3" juvies, not going to put full grown adults in the tank. Probably looking at 8-9 Discus, and then some catfish... likely Synodontis Petricola (LOVE these guys and we have a few hundred of them in our hatchery lol). Not going to go crazy with plants, few nice swords and some cover but not a full out "planted" tank.

Dogvet06
11-15-2012, 06:26 PM
well i hope someone else chimes in to help ya out. im still kinda a newbie myself. there are lots of stickies in the beginner section. most recommend to grow out your discus to start bare bottom b/c of all the feedings and hence water changes the juvies need. they like clean water. i learned the hard way. ive had discus for years and they never grew or thrived very long and it was b/c i started them in a planted tank and only cleaned the water monthly if that b/c the plants in my mind were keeping things clean. ive had my new sponsor bought fish for a month and they are growing quickly before my eyes b/c im finally doing things the right way. i was looking into an RO unit myself b/c i have a little nitrite in my water. havent bitten the bullet yet on getting a system b/c im not sure if i am moving or not and dont want to install if not needed where i move. this is the unit that was recommended for me http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29 seems pretty easy to install...was thinking in laundry area to hold the water.