PDA

View Full Version : wtb blue heckels

KIAWAHKID
11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone have any

pastry
11-20-2012, 10:36 PM
huh? you get bit by the heckel bug? Wilds or wild progeny?

I don't have either (so not to keep you wondering) but just wondering. Besides the few sponsors that push them (stating the obvious that you already know) then I'm out of the loop. If you have intents on getting them then definitely keep if thread if you feel like it because I'd love to follow. Had 2 years ago and still amazed by them... to me, they're "discus but they're not" (in a cool way).

jimg
11-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Try John http://www.freshwatertropicalfishonline.com/wild_discus.php

KIAWAHKID
11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Waiting for John to get some in like lat year. FIRST CLASS FISH!!!!

Have had heckels before but cut down on my tanks when I went into dart frogs about 5 years ago. Have only one frog tank now and it is up for sale so I have an empty 29 just begging for some driftwood and a few heckels.

lipadj46
11-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I too am planning on getting 3 or 4 heckels once they come in

jimg
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Waiting for John to get some in like lat year. FIRST CLASS FISH!!!!

I have an empty 29 just begging for some driftwood and a few heckels.
I seriously wouldn't put any wilds let alone heckles in a small tank like that. I would go with at least a 90 and imo that's pushing it too.

jimg
11-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I too am planning on getting 3 or 4 heckels once they come inget in touch with john, he has some. I have some coming from him too

lipadj46
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
get in touch with john, he has some. I have some coming from him too

Will do thx!

KIAWAHKID
11-21-2012, 05:17 PM
I have had heckels in a 200 and I have had heckels in a 20; If you know what you are doing it makes no difference.

jimg
11-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I have had heckels in a 200 and I have had heckels in a 20; If you know what you are doing it makes no difference. ok... lol!

KIAWAHKID
11-23-2012, 09:16 AM
"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." - President Thomas Jefferson

jimg
11-23-2012, 12:09 PM
luck is what it would take to keep any discus in a 20 gal let alone wilds.

DiscusBR
11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
+1

That would be like keeping a Doberman in a one room apartment. It can be done, sure, but sounds like animal cruelty to me.

As it has been stated countless times in this forum, discus are schooling fish that should be kept in groups of at leas 5. With a general rule of 10 gallons per fish, it is generally agreed that a 55g is the minimum size.

KIAWAHKID
11-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Tell that to the 2 African lions on the 1/4 acre rock in the Bronx Zoo. Or the lowland gorillas in the 1 acre yard. Should I go on? You know what I learned long ago, (65 years of keeping tropical fish) it is not polite to tell others what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elliots
11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
KIAWAHKID, some people on SD tell you what to do, some people suggest what to do. Some things on SD are fact some are opinion. I read SD but it is my tank and my fish so I do what I want. I freely admit that I was talked out of trying to raise small Discus in a planted tank without actually trying it myself. Next week I will visit Hans to get Discus. I am probably going to buy 5" fish to start. They are reputed to be easier to keep than less than 3" fish. If you look at Hans' site you will see a big upcharge to go from 5" to 6".

KIAWAHKID
11-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Thanks Elliots for the common sense reply. What annoys me most is when a public comment does not remotely address the question asked. The Doberman analogy would make keeping almost any fish in any tank a "crime", as would the display of most mammals that are kept in zoos. Have you seen the enclosure for the 2 lions in the Bronx Zoo? HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!! Treat yourself to 2 or 3 of Hans' great pairs!!

DiscusBR
11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks Elliots for the common sense reply. What annoys me most is when a public comment does not remotely address the question asked. The Doberman analogy would make keeping almost any fish in any tank a "crime", as would the display of most mammals that are kept in zoos. Have you seen the enclosure for the 2 lions in the Bronx Zoo? HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!!!! Treat yourself to 2 or 3 of Hans' great pairs!!

I think you have to calm down. I did not address your original question because it had been answered already. If you want wilds, you can go to John (snookn21). When I got to the thread, you were already engaged in a conversation with Jim about whether yout tank was suitable for keeping wilds. I joined the conversation with my opinion. This is a public forum, so people will express their opinions. The Doberman analogy might not be the best, but I do think a 29g is not appropriate to keep discus, much less wilds. You can do whatever you want. However, other people reading this public thread might think it is ok to keep Hechels in a 29g. I think it is important that these people know that there are dissenting voices.

Done with this thread, going to do a WC, enjoy your Heckels in your 29g.