PDA

View Full Version : I need some input on filtration..

JonC
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I started the Discus thing around two month ago and the wife and I really enjoy them. Currently we’re running a 110 gallon lightly planted tank with a Fluval 305 on one side and a Fluval 406 on the opposite (each running a pre filter). As of now we have six Discus and hope to end up with eleven.
I went out and picked up a 25 gallon to use as our quarantine tank. I need some input on filtration for this thing. Like I said, it was bought as a quarantine tank, but the stand is a double so I could see this tank doing something else, like a first stage grow out tank with a new quarantine tank on the lower shelf. I’m not sure if I should go with a HOB type or the straight sponge with air stone.
What do you guys think is the best all around? Thanks.. Jon

lipadj46
11-21-2012, 10:17 AM
sponge filter is all you need, a #4 or #3 filter would be fine/overkill. Kensfish is the place to buy from, he has great prices on air pumps too

JonC
11-21-2012, 11:24 AM
So who makes a nice and quite air pump?..

lipadj46
11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
This would be overkill but if you need expand in the future you will not have to buy another pump:

http://www.jehmco.com/html/diaphragm_air_pumps.html#DAPMH8-15

the DAPMH15 is on sale and they are pretty much silent and easy to replace the disphram.

JonC
11-21-2012, 01:13 PM
This would be overkill but if you need expand in the future you will not have to buy another pump:

http://www.jehmco.com/html/diaphragm_air_pumps.html#DAPMH8-15

the DAPMH15 is on sale and they are pretty much silent and easy to replace the disphram.

I was thinking of go with one less than $75..

JonC
11-21-2012, 01:14 PM
What about a power head instead of an air pump..

bogia99
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
What about a power head instead of an air pump..

sponge + air pump = 1 system (clean and simpler) $25 total
powerhead + some DIY filtering canister = 1 system (bulky and ugly)

lipadj46
11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
I was thinking of go with one less than $75..

I have not had much luck with cheaper air pumps. Had a tetra whisper for awhile but eventually it got loud and the diaphram went. I have the small luft pump that puts out quite a bit of air and is adjustable but I would not call it quiet though. It is simple and parts are available to rebuild it when the diaphram goes.

JonC
11-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I have not had much luck with cheaper air pumps.
Good point.. Thanks