PDA

View Full Version : Hello all, and Apologies!

brewmaster15
11-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Everyone,
Been a while friends...Hope everyone has been well. Feels a bit odd posting again as I have been off line for the last month. Sorry if you've been one of the members that have tried to get in touch with me by Pm...I'll be working my way thru my mailbox here, but it'll a take a while.. A months neglect on my part adds up in pms. Usually I was on here most days, but the last month I just needed a break in a big way.

Funny, 10 years ago I had a very critical member tell me I would burn out myself in this Hobby within a year and he'd be laughing at me then....well as far as predictions go, the guy missed the mark by 9 years. Call it inevitable, but after a while a forum as big as this one is a bear to run and it eats away at you. Add to it a battery of family issues and other factors and you can easily get burnt out. I did. You start questioning why you do things, why this and why that. As the forum's owner this is not something you want to happen, not when you care about it as much as I do SimplyDiscus.

So Sometimes when you want to get to back to something, you actually need to walk away so you can think about it with a clear head.....which is what I did....walked and am trying to recharge now. Luckily I have a great group of Admins and Mods here to cover me in my absence...(Thanks SD Team). I was also amazed by how many noticed my absence and tried to get in touch with me in concern...thanks all!

So where am now? Here...but things will be a bit different. My Personal schedule isn't as open as it was...Juggling family and a heavy work schedule, and trying to make my Freeze Dried Blackworm Busines survive and gro...I just don't have the time anymore as I used to. I'll be relying more on my SimplyDiscus Team for much here now. Most of you won't notice anything difference.. but some of our more problematic members may. I have a reputation among the forum Mods and admins of being soft and easy going.:) I hope everyone shows the team here the respect they are due.

I'll be in here as much as I can and my team here will keep me advised of things when I am not.. Its been a strange feeling not logging in, not having to deal with issues, complaints, and problems. I got to actually enjoy my fish...something I have not really done in while. Its been being just a hobbyist for a bit... I could get used to it , but I missed the positive aspects of the forum too much. The good friends, my team here, the passion for the hobby, and when we have a great discussion thread.Things that make this place Shine.

So I guess I am back from Soul Searching Sabatical. Nice to be home again. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

regards all,
al

Teshi
11-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Nice to have you back Al, your absence has been noted. You picked a good time for some soul searching, you missed all the drama... hehehe JK the admins and mods here are great!

We all Love this forum!!!!!

Teshi
11-21-2012, 10:46 AM
After a minute of thought I just want to add this...

I found this wonderful forum after purchasing 4 discus from a LFS and having had them die. After the first 4 died i went to a different LFS and purchased 3 more fish.. one died right away and I was looking for answers to what the heck I was doing wrong. I can honestly say if it wasn't for this forum I would NOT have any discus today. I've learned so much from this forum and hope it is here for another 10yrs to help new hobbyists learn and enjoy these pets.

This was about 9mo ago, 2 of my LFS fish are still alive (Thank you SD and all its members). I also found Kenny's Discus from this forum and have 6 fish from him. I know I would never continued on to try to have discus if it wasn't for this forum.

I am sure I'm not the only one here that feel this way and want to thank you for your contribution of making this all possible for the rest of us in this tight little community to enjoy such a wonderful hobby as Discus Fish.

brewmaster15
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks Margaret!:)
-al

darcy
11-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Al
happens to all of us eventually.....................Glad to see you are back. If you need anything just gimme the word. This was always the best to learn and chat and make new friends. I'm slowly making my way back to Discus and will be around here quite a bit from now on. But like I say if you need ANYTHING or just want to vent I'm around.

Darcy

Second Hand Pat
11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Glad you see you back and recharged a bit Al. Really nice to hear you got to enjoy your own fish. Hope that continues. :)

PAR23
11-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Welcome back Al. Hope all has settled down in your personal life. At the end of the day, that is what's important.

Eddie
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Hey there Al! Definitely been missed on the forum. Wishing you the best with all that's going! I know I probably can't do anything but if there is anything that you need, let me know.

Take care my friend,

Eddie

roclement
11-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Hey Al,

Every one of us in this forum has needed a break (or two) from time to time; the simple fact that you feel the need to appologize to us members for being absent for a short while reflects what kind of person you are! I truly believe this is why this forum has been so succesfull, for so long!

I am glad you are back, and you should be very proud of the team you put together, the place ran flawlesly! Welcome back!

Rodrigo

Skip
11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Al.. i am feeling same way.. :)

wdeleon01
11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Nice to have you back Al. Hope everything in your personal has settled down. I think it happens to all of us and sometimes we just feel like we need a break.

Disgirl
11-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Welcome back Al, we missed you. Hope you are really getting to know your fish these days. Happy Thanksgiving!
Barb

DLFL
11-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Al you sure deserved the break. Be careful of staying away too long, could cause delirious behavior! :D

Keith Perkins
11-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Ten years of dealing with us before you finally cracked? You're a man of incredible constitution Al, Glad you're back.

Oscarsx
11-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I still remember the first time you banned me, ahh good times :)

Welcome back Al!

- oz

Second Hand Pat
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
I still remember the first time you banned me, ahh good times :)

Welcome back Al!

- oz

Oz, nice to know you are not giving us newer mods any chance to ban you. Thanks for being a stellar member. :D
Pat

vicdiscus
11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi Al

Enjoy ur day :)

krislewis3
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Al, welcome back...you sound like a smart guy, who just had too much on your plate. It's difficult to be successful, much less happy and contented, under these conditions. I'm so glad that you recognized, and lessened your responsibilities, and are back with a smile!!! Al, you helped me soooooo much. For a while, I was that frustrated person that was tearing my hair out, and you came through for me, recognizing that there was a problem, when others though that I needed to be medicated, rather than my fish!! Thank you Al...........kris

Discus-Hans
11-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Who is Al or Brewmaster???? He wasn't on the forum??? I didn't miss anybody!!!!

Anyhow welcome back "stranger"

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Carie and the kids,

Joanne & Hans

Discus_KC
11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Al,

I understand a lot of what you have been going through. I have been through a lot and know the toll stress can take on us. We just have to manage what we can and the rest might just have to wait. Family comes first so take your time. I just logged on today and it's been quite a while since the last time I did. I will try not to be such a stranger!!

Jack

aalbina
11-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Great to see you back here Al - nothing to apologize for in my opinion. Given the tremendous efforts you have put into this site for so many years - you have nothing but gratitude and appreciation from me and many others I assure you! 30 days off after so many years of service to this community hardly seems like enough my friend.

Adam

Dubiadiscus
11-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Hi Al , glad to have you back. Sometimes life throws us those some unexpected twist and turns. Hope all is well.

GrayLadyPat
11-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Welcome back! I joined while you were gone. Thank you for everything. You have no idea what the help I have received from this site means to me.

brewmaster15
11-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Thank you everyone! Nice to be home again.:o

-al