PDA

View Full Version : Discus With white feces

Letsdiscus
11-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Some help will be appreciated..

A month and half back, I added a new Discus around 4.5" to my existing 54gallon corner aquarium housing 3 adult (snake skin, Malboro Red n Fuji Red) and one stunted blued diamond. The new guy was added to the main tank after 3 weeks of quarantine..

He was bullied by the stunted Blue diamond which was quite surprising as he was way smaller in size.

I have separated my new discus in a 15gallon tank since past one month and have observed him excreting white feces. This has reduced lately but I haven't seen him eating since the time I have bought him. he swims around the tank but does not seem to eat.

Is there anyway I can force him to eat...or a better treatment.i don't want to loose him..

Kind of worried now... Water temp is 83F.., sponge filter, bare bottom 15 gallon tank..

Have tried treating with Melafix

Altum Nut
11-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Welcome to Simply Discus Letsdiscus
You’re best to post in the Disease/Sickness and Medication section. Make sure you fill out the questionnaire.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

...Ralph

camuth8
11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Where did you get the Discus from? The white feces could have been in the Discus ever since you bought him.

I agree with Ralph, too. Try to fill out the questionnaire.

And, welcome to Simply! :D

Eddie
11-24-2012, 08:05 AM
If the fish isn't eating, it can start dropping white feces. Melafix is junk and you can bring the temp up higher to get the fish eating. Ultimately though, the fish may not eat since its alone/isolated.

Letsdiscus
11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

The problem happened almost a month back after I noticed him being bullied by my blue diamond half it's size. I quarantined him in a 15 gallon with temp 83f, bare bottom tank. I haven't seen him eat at all so far and have been doing lot of white feces.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

-have not seen him eat since 4 weeks, white poop

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

have tried Melafix dosage 5-7ml once in 2 days with water change for a week.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

15gallon. Fish size around 3inches

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

water change once in 2 days earlier, now 50%daily since last one week. Water is 50%aged and 50% tap warm water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___83%

- ph ___6.8__

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
no.

Letsdiscus
11-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Just raised temp today to 85f n added dosage of metroplex from sachem

Letsdiscus
11-25-2012, 11:32 AM
The situation seems to be getting worse. The belly is pretty badly swollen and my fish is swimming on the water surface..
Had done a 50% water change yesterday...

any advise would greatly help if it can save my fish....

Thanks
:(

jimg
11-25-2012, 12:18 PM
you could try epsom salt bath never worked for me but has for others so look up what dose has worked. then I would get metro powder kensfish ,jehmco etc and kanamycin or oxytetracycline. chances of saving it imo are slim, up to you if you want to spend $. do not raise temp yet.

Letsdiscus
11-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jim.. I came across similar Epsom salt treatment on Rocky Mountain Discus..Just picked p and have added a small dose..keeping my fingers crossed.. The belly is quite bad so not sure if he would make it...

jimg
11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Jim.. I came across similar Epsom salt treatment on Rocky Mountain Discus..Just picked p and have added a small dose..keeping my fingers crossed.. The belly is quite bad so not sure if he would make it...
good luck you will never go wrong with any advice from Al at rocky mountain.

Letsdiscus
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
I lost the battle to save my guy... he passed away this evening. Thanks every one for the advise...He would have been my latest addition to my existing Discus heaven.. youtu.be/dp6BNOV_cME

Thanks all once again.. Will be back on other discussion topics that need some more clarification.. first one on "bullying" and next an upgrade of my tank which I plan to do during Christmas...

Eddie
11-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Sometimes treating with metro can cause a bad die off and cause an internal bacteria infection. Sorry for the loss.

Letsdiscus
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Eddie. Will keep this noted for future..