PDA

View Full Version : Curiosity question, how many here keep 6 + discus, with no intention of breeding?

wannadivesteve
11-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I've not kept fish in years, but they've been my life for about 30 years... worked in and owned aquarium shops since '82... but in '99 I moved to Hawaii and started leading scuba tours. I'm planning on moving back to the mainland and have been dreaming of getting into a couple of fish tanks again, found this forum and have decided discus have to be part of the dream.

We're trying to make a move to the mainland happen and hopefully in two months we'll have a new home, complete with a bare daylight basement. I'm trying not to let my mind run with the possibilities. I definitely want several discus, primarily to look at, but the thought of breeding comes up then I think at all the work involved and think maybe I need to step back and plan on just admiring them.

I'm curious how many here have 6-12 or more nice discus and are just fine with passing on the breeding aspect of the hobby, or does the urge to try breeding become inevitable?

Trier20
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I've not kept fish in years, but they've been my life for about 30 years... worked in and owned aquarium shops since '82... but in '99 I moved to Hawaii and started leading scuba tours. I'm planning on moving back to the mainland and have been dreaming of getting into a couple of fish tanks again, found this forum and have decided discus have to be part of the dream.

We're trying to make a move to the mainland happen and hopefully in two months we'll have a new home, complete with a bare daylight basement. I'm trying not to let my mind run with the possibilities. I definitely want several discus, primarily to look at, but the thought of breeding comes up then I think at all the work involved and think maybe I need to step back and plan on just admiring them.

I'm curious how many here have 6-12 or more nice discus and are just fine with passing on the breeding aspect of the hobby, or does the urge to try breeding become inevitable?

Having a tank of one sex is the easiest way. Not to sound like an a$$.

dadecountyalan
11-24-2012, 03:32 PM
ive had the urge. but i love having all my fish together in one tank being a family. if i would ever get a really nice pair that i feel would do a great job as parents then i might change my mind. but for now id rather enjoy my beautifull fish all in one tank

bogia99
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I didn't plan on breeding; however, the fighting in the grow out tank was getting a bit too much over a female. The male pair was getting bite marks on the body from the alpha male. I moved them out to a breeding tank and had wigglers. Maintaining two discus tanks was starting to become a chore, lost most of the free swimmers, so I moved the pair back to the main tank and let them duke it out this time. I may try breeding again later when the pair gains a bit more in size. I think it is fun and educational.

discuspaul
11-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I've kept 6 to 14 discus in a more or less community planted tank quite a number of times over the past few years.

They've almost always been juvies growing out, and each time they grew to about 5" or so, I've sold them locally & re-stocked the tank again with more juvies.
I haven't been attracted in recent years to breeding discus and raising fry, but the inevitable has occured a few times ... i.e. Ive had a couple of sets pair up & spawn, but it being in a community tank, nature took it's course, and having to raise any fry was of course a non-issue - and that's quite the way I like it.
I just want to enjoy a group of discus growing up together, notwithstanding the natural pecking order developments that are ongoing.

Bart V
11-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I currently have six discus including a pair that have just started breeding every eight days. I'm really not interested in breeding the fish at all but the behavior is certainly interesting to watch. They watch over the eggs and I have even had wigglers but after three attempts they have yet to produce swimmers. The tank is a 120 so there seems to be enough room to keep the aggression from getting out of hand.

GrayLadyPat
11-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a community tank...and I inherited 4 discus (long story.) I love them so much that I listened to everyone here and I bought 2 more to make a nice even 6-pack. I do not ever plan to breed them. If nature takes its course, then there will be free fish food for the rest of the tank denizens.

I love them. They make me happy. Nuff said.

Fishwhispererpam
11-24-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a community tank...and I inherited 4 discus (long story.) I love them so much that I listened to everyone here and I bought 2 more to make a nice even 6-pack. I do not ever plan to breed them. If nature takes its course, then there will be free fish food for the rest of the tank denizens.

I love them. They make me happy. Nuff said.

This has been my stance for 'bout 2 years now. I love my 10 discus and have watched them grow nicely etc. buuuuut.......... The breeding thought sounds more and more fun as time goes on. Lol!

LiZZzz
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
I have 6 different Discus in a planted tank, the other inhabitants are a pair of Siamese fighting fish, and a "cleaning team" of lovely Catfish (L204, L201, L183, L194 & Golden nuggets), Panda cory cats as well as shrimps.
I don't intend to breed, it's just too much work, and then I'd have to find homes for the youngsters.
I noticed that a pair laid eggs this morning, it's a Cobalt and a Blue Diamond, both are lovely fish with strong colour and no markings, so I presume the offspring would be great. The other Discus are leaving the pair in peace, so it would be exciting if some fry survived.
However, I presume nature will take it's course, and someone will enjoy eggs for dinner.

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

Disgirl
03-31-2013, 04:39 PM
I have 14 discus in a 125 planted tank. If any of them spawn, nature will take it's course. I have bred them in the past, no interest in doing it anymore, just enjoy my tank of lovely fish to watch and care for now. Same with my angel tank.
Barb

Elliots
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
I have 12 Discus in a 150 gal. community tank. I do not intend on breeding them but I have had several catches of eggs laid and hatchlings but that is as far as the fish have gotten. I also have no room to separate the fry so I just let nature take her course.

Ryan
04-01-2013, 01:38 AM
I put eight adult fish in a 150 and they paired off and spawned naturally. The tank was large enough that the fighting was almost non-existent. The eggs never survived because of the hardness of my water and hungry bristlenose plecos who usually stole the eggs at night. I've heard of some pairs becoming terrors and that would probably cause issues with stress, but I'd think if the tank were big enough and you didn't have a high stocking density that you could probably just let them spawn and pull the eggs if you had no interest in breeding.

Northwoods Discus
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
You can resist the breeding bug for a while but it is a natural progression of fish keeping to take on the next challenge.
I went diving on Kauai last year. It is like being inside a giant aquarium. Why in the world would you want to move to the "mainland". You can enjoy fish without having to care for them. Just kidding, just take it as it comes. If the breeding bug bites enjoy it.