PDA

View Full Version : Should I quarantine and medicate this fish?

fiftymeatballs
11-25-2012, 12:53 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

My 5.5" cobalt is not eating much and seems lethargic. When I purchased this discus about a year ago I realized he had hole in the head when I got him home. After treatment he did very well, became the alpha
male, paired up and fertilized a lot of eggs this year. He was always the most eager to eat everyday, swam into my hands when they were in the tank etc. Now he is sitting in the back mid level, looks out of it.

I've also noticed that the female hasn't laid any eggs the past two weeks, she usually does at least once a week if not more. I think that he isn't into it so she is holding back.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

He's slightly dark, slightly clamped, not as vibrant blue. There are moments where he perks up and get much more blue looking but otherwise seems miserable.
I don't see any signs of HITH, I think I nipped that in the butt last year.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Unsure what is wrong so have yet to treat him.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

120 gallons

6 adults, 5-7 inches

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% water bi weekly
Sand bottom, driftwood biotope
I do not age my water, tap with python using thermometer and prime.
Ny water is very soft, low kh & gh, no chloramine used.
I know they have upped the chlorine since the hurricane but my other fish are just fine.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 86__

- ph 6.0 - 6.5___

- ammonia reading 0__

- nitrite reading 0___

- nitrate reading... low

- well water ____

- municipal water, New york city

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

I've added some german blue rams a few days back but this discus was showing signs of illness prior.
Thought he would snap out of it but thats not the case.

lipadj46
11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I would put him in a smaller bare bottom tank where you can do daily complete water changes with aged water and see if he comes around

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Eddie
11-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Also, what foods do you feed?

fiftymeatballs
12-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Sorry for the lack of response. Thought I subscribed for email notification but did not.

I quarantined and observed for a day. Saw white stringy feces, treated with API general cure(metro and prazi) and dosed aquarium salt. Seems to have done the trick he is looking great.
I believe he was shedding the lining of the intestine because a ton of white feces came out over the few days he was being treated.

He's back to normal now from what I can see. Responsive, eating a lot, happy to see me when I walk in the room. His feces are dark and looks normal. I would like to get him back to the main tank since he is in an un cycled quarantine that requires constant attention.

Should I be concerned that my other discus that he lived with the past year are going to be affected by this same parasite? Maybe they all have it but a stronger immune system is keeping it in check? Keep in mind this guy did have HITH when I purchased him last year, the holes developing on his face were taken care of last year and have not come back.

I feed a lot of freeze dried black worm, discus biogold pellets, new life spectrum flake(mostly for tankmates), omega one pellets.

I try to feed beef heart often, at least once a week, also frozen bloodworms as a treat every week.
I tried freeze dried krill they don't take a liking to it much. I also randomly give some Hikari discus frozen foods, discus delight etc.