PDA

View Full Version : Stress Bars

rerdragon1977
11-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Just a quick question on stress bars. Ive noticed that my turqs have been showing their stress lines consistantly over the last two weeks. They are eating fine and im not having any similar issues with the other discus. They are alert and eating well and had an unsucessful spawn last week but im somewhat concerned as they havent returned to their vibrant self. Are the black stress lines something i should be concerned about?

camuth8
11-26-2012, 08:17 PM
With Red Turquoise, (I've found it with Red Scribble, too) they seem to show "stress bars" a lot. Usually there isn't a problem. When they get older, they will get rid of the bars, and have the red and the blue stripes replace them. :)

Eddie
11-26-2012, 08:37 PM
They are mood bars. If everything is legit water wise, and they are feeding with gusto, then I wouldnt worry about it.

sandy
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
They are mood bars. If everything is legit water wise, and they are feeding with gusto, then I wouldnt worry about it.

But Eddie stress bars also know as early warning signs of stress

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

seanyuki
11-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Happy discus also shows stress bars.......imo sick/unhappy discus turns dark iso having stress bars.

camuth8
11-27-2012, 12:28 AM

Sandy, stress bars do indicate stress, but not always as Eddie said. Whenever I've had Discus with stress bars, it's been either mood or that's how they are. :D

sandy
11-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Ya right mine also get bars while eating

cjr8420
11-27-2012, 04:56 AM
most discus darken up and show stress bars more during spawning thickening their slime coat to feed the fry.so they will probably stay like that if they keep trying to spawn

rerdragon1977
11-27-2012, 10:48 AM
well i have been watching the group of 6 in my 90gallon for a few days now(constantly) I have a pair of blue diamonds that were introduced in there and that when the turq pair male lost his alpha status. Ive been noticing increasing dammage to the other fish rom constant bullying and biting so ive decieded to swap out the diamonds. Ive heard that Blue diamonds are typically more agressive than other strains but this is ridiculous. Im worried about infection on the female turq but right now she appears to healing well and still eating alert. They lay eggs but due to the community tank inhabitants they are quickly eaten under their noses.

GrayLadyPat
11-27-2012, 12:11 PM
In the short amount of time that I have had them, my kids rarely show stress bars...EXCEPT for the two that I have tentatively decided are red turqs. They seem to change on a whim, almost always showing the black bar across their eyes, but showing the rest of the bars when anything changes in the tank. This includes feeding time, being harrassed, or simply because a cloud passes over and the room darkened a bit. Either they are stressed over every little thing, or it's just a natural thing to do for them, I can't decide which. They eat great (little piglets) and they aren't shy by any means. I am beginning to think that they're just the discus equivelent of mood rings.

On the other hand, the most recent addition (I was told it's an ocean green) has never ever showed a single bar, even when still in the bag when I brought it home.

Go figure?

Moon
11-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Ocean greens do not normally show stress bars. They are similar to Blue diamonds.

Eddie
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Yes, they can be but they are not always. Thats why they are more referred to as mood bars. Happy or sad...even mad! LOL

Happy discus also shows stress bars.......imo sick/unhappy discus turns dark iso having stress bars.

+1

Sandy, stress bars do indicate stress, but not always as Eddie said. Whenever I've had Discus with stress bars, it's been either mood or that's how they are. :D

Indeed

jwelectric
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
nice information in this thread, thank you