PDA

View Full Version : Newby!!

Van
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi Guys

I have always wanted to have my own big tank with Discus,I have always kept all kinds of Chiclids, just never attempted Discus. I recently got a 250lt tank and want to start setting up my tank for a Discus set up.Please can you guys assist me in tips on equipment,food,water,lighting etc?

I would appreciate the assistance!

Van

Elliots
11-26-2012, 06:27 PM
What you do depends a lot on what size Discus you want to start with. Grow out small ones, start with near adults or the not recommended by me to start, buy breeding pairs. Also the more you read this site the more you will learn.

Teshi
11-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Also the more you read this site the more you will learn.

+1

And then you will have more questions :)

camuth8
11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
+1

And then you will have more questions :)

Many more! :D

sandy
11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Also the more you read this site the more you will learn.

That true just read read the more u read it benefit for you and your discus :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Trier20
11-26-2012, 08:58 PM
My advice is to start at the top of the beginners page and read all the stickies. There is a ton of info in there! Good luck!

MostlyDiscus
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
If I am correct your tank is around 80 us gals? If so you could keep 5-6 adults and a few other compatible fish. Clean water would be the biggest factor in keeping discus. Water changes and or good filtration will go a long way. If your going the WC route then set up your WCs to be convient. Read the post here for food and nutrition. The less messy the food the better. The last thing would be to make sure you get healthy discus starting out. Store bought can be tricky at best. The sellers here on SD are awesome and great with questions. GL GD(good luck good discus) *smiles*
Ed

shoveltrash
11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
hi & welcome!
read read read here - there is a vast amount of great info, answers to just about any question you might have (I typically do an 'advanced search' for specifics).