PDA

View Full Version : Python water changes Question

CherokeeNative
11-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Hi all - Newbie here. I have just set up my 55 gal. freshwater tank and doing water changes by bucket. I am getting ready to purchase the Python water changer set up but I have a question. Currently, I fill the bucket with tap water to the same temp. as the tank, add my Prime, and then put it in the tank. With the Python, I get it that I can extract to the sink or bathtub, but when I go to refill, how will I treat the water coming from the tap before it goes into the tank? Do I add my prime to the tank and then add the water? Or add the water and then add the prime? Sorry to sound so dumb about this stuff - but in actuality, I am at this point. TIA

Trier20
11-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Add prime straight to the tank then add water

CherokeeNative
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks Trier. One more question - Do I add the dosage for a 55 gal tank, or just the dosage for the amount of water I am adding?

Eddie
11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Also, save tons of money and use Seachem Safe instead of Prime and just the same, add to the tank prior to filling.

Bill63SG
11-28-2012, 06:57 AM
You add the dose for the whole tank.

Poco
11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
You add the dose for the whole tank.

+1

If water temperature is 86F or higher just use half of the recommend dose. you can also read the instructions on the Prime/Safe label.

Curt
11-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I add straight to the tank then add water been doing it this way for years on all my tank, and yes dose for tank size it is eaiser then trying to estimate how much water your acctualy adding.

Curt

kreekree
11-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Does anyone notice that with their python (mine is 100ft) that it doesn't suck really well the crap out of the pool sand? It gets the big poop but the cory poop which is tiny specks it just filters thru? Even if I use a different siphon I notice it doesn't pick up the tiny poop. I know BB is the best but I have less then an inch of pool sand on the bottom and just wonder if anyone has any suggestions??

Herbicidal
11-29-2012, 03:23 PM
100' is ALOT of hose! I imagine it's a combination of two things, length of hose and water pressure of the faucet you're connected too. I'd suggest using the shortest length of hose that still allows you to reach your furthest tank AND try a different faucet (closest to the main water line coming into your home).

Fortunately, I can get away with a 25' hose. :)

Curt
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Id say hose length and suction preasure are the main problems. Higher preasure may work but if you can use a shorter hose do that as well.

Curt

shoveltrash
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
definitely a shorter hose would help - and simple gravity suction actually works well too (it's what I do) if you r set up so that it works....