PDA

View Full Version : creating the perfect aquarium...(for me and my discus)

navydiscus
11-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone it has been a little while since my last post, and since i have been able to keep discus. I am currently active duty navy, and have moved 3 times in the last 3 years, and moving again in march, and then again in march of 2014. That being said I dont want to set up an aquarium and have to move in less than a year before i have to sell my stock and tear it down. So I am doing my research now so i can do everything right when the time comes. I am still what i would call a novice discus keeper, but have successfully kept them in the past. Anyway here is what i would like to do. I know this is going to be a lot of money, and i don't plan on doing anything halfa**. I want to buy a custom truvu aquarium 72Lx30Ww24T approx 240 gal. put about a dozen or so adult discus with some corys and a school of cardinals. I dont want to overstock i would rather keep it understocked. I am going to keep it bare bottom, but have sufficient driftwood with anubias and maybe some java ferns attached to the wood and some potted swords. I have read a lot about some discus peppering with black backgrounds even when they are adults so i will paint the back white. Lighting will be two kessil 6400 LEDs raised high enough to cover most of the tank, and not so bright it spooks the fish especially with the white background I may also put some floating plants to help shade certain areas. Filtration: Two large sponge filters, and a 55 gal refugium. I may put a UV sterilizer in line with the outflow of the refugium, but that will come after i see how things hold up after a few months (before i put in the discus) I will have a single overflow for the refugium, and am thinking about making a one inch hole around 5 or so inches from the bottom and rigging some piping for a quick way to do water changes (acrylic aquarium if i didnt mention that already.) Also use one of those Ehiem battery powered syphons if anyone has any reviews on those that would be great. I would love some advice/experience. Thanks everyone this site rocks!!!

Elliots
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Good luck! Make sure where ever you live the tank is not too heavy for the floor!

navydiscus
11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I could only imagine... So, if you have discus that pair up in that large of an aquarium is it possible for them to rear young?