PDA

View Full Version : Simple Algae-Eating Shrimp Question =)

Elyse
11-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Algae-Eating Shrimp?

I'm planning on setting up another aquarium just for plants, and was thinking Amano shrimp, or some other kind of shrimp might be a good idea to add to keep algae down (and they're cute).

This might be a very silly question, but I was wondering if anyone knew if Algae-Eating Shrimp have as much chance of being ill from a local fish store as any fish? =) I don't know; do you think they're less susceptible to the aliments that plague the non-crustaceans? =)

I'm Just wondering because most fish I've brought home from the LFS carried something, and I've had to mess with weeks/months of quarantine before I add them to the main tank..........and I told myself not to buy annnnymore fish from the LFS........=)

What do you think? =)

Peace,
Elyse

Eddie
11-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes, they can be carriers. Its hard to QT or clean up shrimp. Maybe some folks can chime on how they clean up shrimp.

Elyse
11-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Carriers, as in, the illness doesn't affect them? So if I keep them in a species only tank, and don't share equipment between the shrimp tank and the discus tank then it'll be alright?

I've only looked into it a small amount on-line so far and only found that they could carry tapeworm. I'm just waiting for someone who has first hand experience with shrimp to give me tips =)

I've learned more from this forum about the realities of fish keeping than I have from the obsessive research I did before I set up my discus tank =)

camuth8
12-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Are there any stores that carry Singapore/Bamboo Shrimp? Those are big shrimp that Discus won't be able to fit in their mouths. Also, at my LFS, they absolutely loved moss balls. :)