PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Fish Net

Kal-El
11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
I have being using Marina 10" fine net, but have notice that it is not as soft as I like. It seems to scratch some of my fish, especially the ones that loves to give you a fight. Can any one of you who net their fish offend recommend a soft fish net that can handle fish from juvie to 7"+ adults? Thanks.

Wes
11-30-2012, 08:14 PM
I use a clear tupperware container and my hand to hold them in as I transport them, with water, around the room.

DiscusDrew
12-01-2012, 12:06 AM
No nets are ever used in my fish room once the fish grows to 2" TL or more, from there forward I would never risk damage to their eyes by a net. My hands take a beating some days as I move fish around the fish room to re-pair them and such, but nevertheless, Id rather me take a small beating than them honestly. Hope you'll reconsider, and in your case honestly you shouldnt hardly ever need to be touching them period.

Keith Perkins
12-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Try looking at a Python net. Quite tight hole weave, black netting, and softer than your average LFS nets. I also use my bare hands a lot, but not as often as Drew.

Kal-El
12-01-2012, 12:21 AM
Interesting Drew.. So if I'm moving an adult from my main tank to their breeding tank I should not use a net? Bare hands or tubberware?

Saw a video of Alex Piwow. using a net to catch those jumbo size RT. I wonder what kind that is.

Keith Perkins
12-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Interesting Drew.. So if I'm moving an adult from my main tank to their breeding tank I should not use a net? Bare hands or tubberware?

Definitely less wear and tear on the fish, if you can manage it.

Kal-El
12-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Definitely less wear and tear on the fish, if you can manage it.

Will give this a try but would still love more input on the best net out there.

Brokenrack
12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
I use my hand as well

Keith Perkins
12-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Will give this a try but would still love more input on the best net out there.

Well, I still like my Python net when I want to use one.

Kal-El
12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, I still like my Python net when I want to use one.

I will give the python net a try as well as regular smaller fishing net at a fishing store.