PDA

View Full Version : Pasadena Wind Storm Anniversary

lgomezvi
12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
maybe some of you have survived something similar.

one year ago tonight, a severe windstorm knocked out power to a major part of the greater Los Angeles area, including my house in Alhambra, CA. Though the power returned to some blocks soon after, the electricity stayed down in my neighborhood for nearly a week (inept Edison Elec. Co).

I was at my laptop as the power went off in my house, and I instantly realized I was in some deep trouble.

At that time, I was ~2.5 months into a new 80G planted tank set up, which I had slowly stocked with 8 discus.

I heard the canister filter of the tank gurgle to a complete stop.

I immediately ran to the pet store. When I returned, I wrapped the tank in some blankets and blasted two recently purchased battery operated air pumps. I figured this would hold them over until the power returned. When I realized the power wasn't coming back any time soon, I had to resort to frequent, heated water changes (luckily the gas stayed on) nearly every 3 hours to keep the fish alive. I used lots buckets and batteries that week.

this is that fish tank:

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/tropical-discus-fish-group-amy-vangsgard.html

my friend’s mom took this picture of the tank just days before the storm, which she later photoshop'ed, printed and mounted on a canvas that she gave to me as a gift.

at times the discus were cold, immobile and near death.

my experience is likely nothing in comparison to the struggles some of you may have had, especially during the recent Super storm Sandy. but I heard a news story tonight on the radio of the anniversary of the "windstorm of the decade" here in LA, and it reminded me of that horrible week. I feel for you if you have gone through this.

all the discus survived (lost 1 panda cory).

be prepared!