PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Products

mikle81
12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience using the Seachem range of products to achieve their desired water parameters?

My aged tap water currently has a GH & KH of 0.

Thanks in advance!

April
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Mine also. I use equilibrium for minerals etc. it helps buffer. But I also use aragonite to prevent crashes. Cheaper. But equilibrium has more .

discuspaul
12-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I have the same problem, and have used Seachem Equilibrium every once in a while for buffering/raising GH, but perhaps not often enough. I believe Gary (2wheelsx2) has also used Equilibrium on a regular basis for buffering purposes - he put me on to Equilibrium.

I recently had the problem that April mentioned, and am currently using a small amount of Seachem Alkaline Buffer (for the KH) - it has raised my pH from well under 6.0 to 6.8, and that has remained steady for quite a few days, even with the large wcs I'm doing in my discus tank.

Seachem is a highly reputable company, perhaps the best in the aquatics world, whose chemists/biologists have produced many products which are seemingly well tested, relatively safe, and effective.

mikle81
12-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback, going to stock up tomorrow!

Will let you know how it goes.

2wheelsx2
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes, I use Seachem Equilibrium at every water change. But unless your tank is planted, you may not want to use too much or it. It doses quite a lot of potassium, which isn't a problem where we are because our water is soft (GH about 1 degree). I dose half the recommended amount of Equilibrium and the rest I use Epsom salts.

ozone
12-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Is KH increaser not sodium bicarbonate and GH powder calcium carbonate?

discuspaul
12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes, more or less - you are correct.
However, the seachem products also contain other elements in their product formulas (some undisclosed) which in my experience seem to make it more effective for it's intended usage.
For example, the Alkaline Buffer raises pH and maintains it at a selected level on a steady, long-term basis, whereas bicarbonate seems to provide only a very temporary solution, and requires continual replenishing - at least in my experience.
Can't say for sure, though, whether the added cost is justified by it's effectiveness value.

2wheelsx2
12-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Bicarbonates are consumed quickly so is not as stable as other buffers for pH while GH is maintained by more than just calcium. There's also potassium and magnesium maintained. All of these may be concocted by yourself, but realistically unless you're doing a planted tank, and big ones at that, it's just not worth your while buy bulk volumes of these.

Mr.Al
12-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Guys, I've been reading your threads about Seachem products. Did neither of you know that if you go to their offical website, there is an option where you can Seachem an email with your concernns or questions. And within less than 24 hours if not sooner one of the Tech Support people will get back in touch with you with an answer. I used this service recently as I had a question concerning mixing another company's product with Prime, they assurred me that I didn't need to use the other product and that I was wasting my money. And that Prime is all I needed to help prepare my water when doing water changes. Just trying to share some good news for the senior and beginngers...Take Care, Al from Omaha

trong
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
im envious of those of you who have low gh and kh mine are 8gh and 7 kh which would be ok for discus but i also raise soft water plants and discus together. i have a heavily planted discus tank and prefer to use r/o water reconstatuded with seachem equillibrium to 60ppm gh and 20ppm kh with alkaline buffer. it does cost more but plants love it. i have 5 discus 5-6 inches and 2 of the female keep taking turns laying eggs. these products work great for me, and as far as seachem the company, its hard to find a more helpful group of people. i am deeply satisfied

mikle81
12-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the replies, I got off to a shaky start after some shoddy advice from my LFS but have now settled on Seachem's Neutral Regulator for day to day use with some Equillibrium now and then to maintain the gh. My tank's ph is now a pretty stable 7 and I add some of the regulator to the aged water before each change and all but one of my Discus seem to be ok. Unfortunately I think the one thats not happy is on his way out, I had a couple of dramatic shifts in ph after some poor advice and it seems to have hit him harder than the rest. I had never thought of contacting Seachem directly for advice but certainly will do in the future if I require any further info, now its been pointed out its seems like the obvious thing to do!

Thanks again