PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my Discus? HLLE/HITH?

tom9182
12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

I just ordered my first 5 discus from Discus Hans about a week ago. I've had them from the past week. I started to notice a white dot/embrassion on one of their side along their lateral line, but it was too big to be ich. At the time i thought it could be a scratch from a rock or a burn from my heater because the discus like to hang out around my heater at times. But as i kept a eye on it for the next couple of days, i saw a spot/embrassion on another discus in between its eyes/ on its forhead. It was about the same size and looked the same. Both spots look as if they just aren't spots, it looks like its an indent in their skin. I've been doing daily w/c's 50%. This could be from stress because when i received them they were VERY skiddish and stressed as they showed stress bars.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The only symptoms i have spotted were the white embrassions in the latteral line of one fish and on the forehead of another.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55g tank, 1 Blue ram, 1 other ram (dont remember its name), around 2-3 cory cats, blue phantom pleco, gold nugget pleco.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Daily w/c 50% . Tank has been running 2-3 months, more like 3 months. Gravel bottom. And i don't age my water.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __86__

- ph __6.6-6.8___

- ammonia reading __0-.1__

- nitrite reading _.1___

- nitrate reading __5.0__

- well water _no___

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No.

Extra info: I did some research on what it could be, i found that it could possibly be HLLE (Head and Latteral Line Errosion) also known as hole in the head, i read that stray voltage in your tank water (possibly from heaters or pumps) can cause HLLE. After i read that, i went out to my LFS and bought a ground probe and installed it to my tank. After having it for almost a full day now, i did see improvement in the embrassions. The embrassions seemed to get better, they look as if the fishes slime/skin is growing back over on both of the fish and the white color is fading. Even though it seems to be getting better i would still like your opinion on this, to see what you think it could be, in case it gets worse. Also so i can have a better education on what this can be so i might be able to identify it in the future.

flexo248
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM
a picture would be a great help :)

tom9182
12-04-2012, 01:32 PM
the problem is when i took the pics the spots werent visible, because the color is fading...

Chicago Discus
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
The first thing I would do is contact Hans.........Josie

tom9182
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
For what reason do you want me to contact him? Do you think i received the fish with the disease?

Chicago Discus
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
For what reason do you want me to contact him? Do you think i received the fish with the disease?

No.... Maybe he can help you, I always recommend people to go back to where they got the fish from first.....Josie

DLock3d
12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
You have a lot of variables against you. It doesn't appear that you did any sort of quarantine and your water parameters aren't optimal. I'd work on getting the water parameters optimal and see how you fair then. Your previous inhabitants of the tank could have something dominant that your new discus aren't resistant to. That with the added stress of shipping makes for a disaster. ( I'm assuming they were shipped to you as I don't know your location).

Good luck

tom9182
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I will try to contact Hans to see what he has to say. Thanks Josie.

And DLock3d, i am trying to get my water to be as optimal as can be at the moment, but i am going to hold off with any medication or quarantining. They seem to be getting better. The fish that had the embrassion along its lateral line is nearly impossible to see it anymore. And the one with it on his forehead is fading away.

Thanks
Tom