PDA

View Full Version : Surface Skimmer for Eheim Canister Filter?

jjgunshot
12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I am growing out 8 2 inch Tiger Turq Discus and the brine shrimp is making quite the mass on the surface along with other debris. I am looking into surface skimmers and have come across these ones.

The problem I encounter is the eheim surface skimmer says its only rated for up to 200gph and my filter is rated for 330gph (eheim pro 3 2075 canister filter).

Link to this surface skimmer: http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Surface_Extractor_Surface_Extractor_Filter_A ccessories-Eheim-EH3535-FIFRFASE-vi.html

Would it still work for my filter or no?

Ive also read it only works with the smaller classic eheim series, Should I buy a seperate smaller canister to run the surface skimmer or is there another surface skimmer that would work for my current filter?

jjgunshot
12-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

krislewis3
12-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Why is there such a mess? Is it live brine shrimp? Are you over feeding? When I feed with anything that ends up floating on the top, I just swirl it around a little, and the fish will eat it. After a few times, it's gone......... but being fairly new to discus, maybe I'm not understanding your issue!!!

BAM
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a similar set up with an Eheim 2026 and a skimmer. If the canister pumps too much volume, the eheim surface skimmer "rattles". I could have used the handle on the 2026 canister to reduce the flow rate, but chose to install a second intake at the opposite end of the tank. On the left side if the tank I have a deep intake and a spray bar just under the surface that sprays left to right, and the skimmer in the right rear corner, facing the left front corner. The result is a strong left to right current on the very surface, top inch or so, and a slow circulation right to left in the rest of the tank. it is a 75 gallon planted tank with a 24 by 36 inch footprint and 24 inches deep. it works very well.

BAM