PDA

View Full Version : LFS Supplier

Rubberducky
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Is it taboo to ask my local fish store who his supplier of discus is?

Trier20
12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Shouldn't if they are a reputable source. If they go "oooooh uuuum.." Then ya know. Lol

I would take a look at the sponsors on here first though. There may be one closer to ya than you think.

Rubberducky
12-05-2012, 11:28 PM
I do purchase from sponsors from here. I was just curious. I asked them who supplies their discus, and was told that they are not allowed to disclose that. My brain started going into overdrive at that point. Do reputable breeders sell less desireable specimens to LFS at a reduced rate rather than culling them, all on the "down low"?

Trier20
12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I do purchase from sponsors from here. I was just curious. I asked them who supplies their discus, and was told that they are not allowed to disclose that. My brain started going into overdrive at that point. Do reputable breeders sell less desireable specimens to LFS at a reduced rate rather than culling them, all on the "down low"?

Interesting..... Did they at least give you a general location as to where they get them? I have two around here. One buys from Hans only and the other buys from someone in Chicago. I wouldn't think it's too much to ask where they get there fish from. You're buying their product they should at lease be able to tell you their supplier.

Elliots
12-06-2012, 09:29 AM
LFS would probably not tell you the exact source of their Discus. It is confidential. Also, you may be able to go directly to their source and cut them out.

Skip
12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
LFS would probably not tell you the exact source of their Discus. It is confidential. Also, you may be able to go directly to their source and cut them out.

my lfs... all get their fish from HANS.. and they promote the fish are from stendker

except one.. they always suck! i asked along time ago.. they said.. "Malaysia"

and you can't really cut them out.. since lfs buy them wholesale price..

nwehrman
12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Most reputable LFS will tell you the source. Not the wholesale price but the source of their fish.

BoiseDiscusGuy
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I would think if they were supplied buy a highly reputable dealer, they would be more than happy to tell you and would promote the fact. If they tell you that is confidential and cannot disclose that info, RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!

ashtricks
12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I went to an LFS and he had 7-8 discus in his display tank. I asked where does he get em from... and he said the big ones were from Hans... and small ones he got from his reef supplier... but ALL of them were in poor condition... so I guess.... the next more important question is what is their maintenance schedule on the fish..... my LFS said he has done only ONE 20% water change in 2 months.... justifying that his fish were doing awesome..... that's when i said "sounds good" and never been back there....