PDA

View Full Version : Geo's how many off you keep them?

spiffyfish
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I would like to see how many people keep geos, with or without discus. Post pics if you have them. Im trying to get or build a bigger tank the beginning of the year and want to get some geos. Juruparis are my favorite right now but want to see the other variations you guys have.

camuth8
12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
I used to own one of these. Grew to about 3 inches. Had to give it back to my LFS. It ate so much food that my Discus weren't getting any. My advice is that if you get one of those, get a small one, because when they get big, they definitely eat a lot. :)

Discus-n00b
12-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I keep some with my discus. Geophagus parnaibae. I want more, just haven't found them the size I need. Might break down and buy small ones. Or I want some red/orange heads......anyone have any??

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8149234439_eea0426258_b.jpg

spiffyfish
12-06-2012, 07:50 PM
nice matt, do you just have the one? i have been looking on aquabid since i cant really seem to find too many other ones elswhere.

Discus-n00b
12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a few but have had to separate them as the one pictured slowly kills the others off. I think they are all males. They don't bother the discus at all but have tons of rage in species. Check http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/ (Jeff Rapps). He usually has a good bit. Thats where I'm probably going to get more Geophagus parnaibae from if I can't find them in larger sizes. Maybe I'll get red heads from him too.....i don't know. I loveeeeeeee geos though. Such interesting fish to watch. Always active and will eat just about anything.

spiffyfish
12-06-2012, 08:17 PM
thanks matt idk how ive never found his site of all the ones i know but i guess thats what the members of the forums are for.

Second Hand Pat
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Matt, check with Mark. He still might have some red heads.

Discus Origins
12-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I have a few altifrons Xingu left, they are about 3.5-4"....perfect size to go with discus. Not too big to harass them, not too small that they'll get stressed by bigger discus :)

Discus-n00b
12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Don't the altifrons get fairly large? At least compared to the parnaibae. I love the altifrons, don't get me wrong....just worried about the final size.

YSS
12-06-2012, 09:21 PM
I have altifrons and they get around 10".

Discus Origins
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Max size wild adults can get 10-12", but dependent on species some grow slower than others, in the aquarium most will not get that big. I've had some Xingu in a show tank that came in at 3", in 3 months they are now 3.5" and eat like pigs lol.

laborelch
12-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I got G. parnaibae (F2 from Ryan) @ 6" - so guess it all depends on feeding and environment

joanstone
12-06-2012, 09:48 PM
I have 6 Red Head Tapajos and 6 Heckelii. They are still only about 4+/-" and they do not live with my discus. They are growing out nicely and I'm looking forward to watching as their colors continue to develop.

Moon
12-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I thought that heckelii are Acaricthys and not Geophagus. I have 6 of these growing out. They are now about 4".

joanstone
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
They are, I just considered them close enough/relevant enough to the original question to mention.

brewmaster15
12-07-2012, 07:48 AM
I've had a bunch of Geos and related over the last few years... sent out a bunch of red head tapajos F1s I bred that many have kept fine with Discus. I have a couple left but kept them in a tank with festivums,ports, and flags... The geos tend to eat much more aggressively than discus and if you have any numbers in the tank... they can attack food like a pack of wolves.

BTW...The A. heckelii are my favorites... Just a beautiful fish... I had some for a short time with wild discus, but ended up giving them their own tank for the reasons above. Found them very aggressive as adults..but still beautiful.

best regards,
al

Discus-n00b
12-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Its kind of funny, the Geos I have race to get as much food as possible....but would much prefer eating pellets off the bottom then worms on the top. Which is just fine with the discus lol.

YSS
12-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Its kind of funny, the Geos I have race to get as much food as possible....but would much prefer eating pellets off the bottom then worms on the top. Which is just fine with the discus lol.

Yup! And my loaches too. :)

MKD
12-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I used to have Geo Redhead with discus. They got along fine when they were young but when they were paired up, they're getting toooooooooooo aggresive. Just 1 pair took close to half of my 6 feet 150G tank. I took the pair out to breeding tank, then another pair formed and did the same. I ended up let them go.

mirador
12-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Regarding tapajos and hekelii

I raised up a group of 6 tapajos and 6 acaricthys. They are both way too food competitive to keep with discus and the tapajos will outcompete the acaricthys as they grow and particularly as the tapajos begin to breed. Further,tapajos are easy as heck to keep but not so much the heckelii. Both are easy to grow out but the adult heckelii are prone to what seem to be digestive problems( or it is nitrate problems)that can kill them as they become large.Their diet may need to change as adults. For example,maybe no pellets as adults though they can grow up on them fine. I really only successfully kept a pair of heckellii for a long time (2 years) alone in a 120gallon. I moved them to a temporary holding tank in a fish room move around and the magnificent male was done in no time.
Any one know about this syndrome and how to prevent. Diet aside,I am fairly sure they will keep OK with discus care ( like, what wouldn't).

joanstone
12-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Interesting experience with the Tapajos and Heckelii, especially since I'm doing the same thing you did with 6 and 6. I would be interested to know more about this syndrome as well, I've not come across anything about it in my reading. I'm not sure how long I'll get away with keeping them together in my 220. So far they're good, but they're still young-ish.

Moon
12-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I understand from Lee Newman that Heckelii and most Geos need a fair amount of veggies in their diet. Lee is considered an expert on Geos. He had published a paste food recepie for Geos some while back. It consisted mainly shrimp, peas and spinach.
I feed mine blanched zucchini every other day along with flake and frozen CBW. So far I've no health issues with them.

ROOK45
12-09-2012, 01:33 AM
I have 23-25 geo orange head tapajos, I'm only going to keep 5-7 and sell the rest once they hit the 3" mark and start showing more color. If any of you guys are still looking in a month shoot me a PM.

Discus-n00b
03-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Just wanted to update this. My Geo has now turned into a devil....won't stop chasing my discus. Its time for him to go.

spiffyfish
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
hahaha i was just looking at the thread you made, i just upgraded to a 180g and purchased 1 altifron so far but had planned on getting of couple more and some jurupari's to keep with my discus. hopefully i dont have the same issues.