PDA

View Full Version : Will discus get used to stressful situations?

ashtricks
12-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Discus don't like high light, people traffic in the room, TV.....
But will they get used to these things if I introduce them to the fish slowly without affecting their growth and coloration?
eg: Turning on the T5 light and TV (bare bottom tank with white bottom and white background) for little time everyday incrementally.

Bill63SG
12-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I always threw mine into the deep end of the pool.180 is in family room,tv,dogs,grandkids.Got a tank in basement right where you turn in on the steps,breeding pair in there.I only had issue's once ,and I thought it was because the tank was down low,but I have 6 on lower racks,so maybe it was just that one time.

rdiscus
12-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Get more discus will solve problem ... if they're overcrowded they're ok :)

Cullymoto
12-07-2012, 05:28 AM
my tank is in my living room also. The fish have a great view of the television and seem to watch it. a few even watch it intently. they do fine, coddle these fish and they will be coddled. treat them like everything is fine and they will be fine.

ashtricks
12-07-2012, 08:17 AM
my tank is in my living room also. The fish have a great view of the television and seem to watch it. a few even watch it intently. they do fine, coddle these fish and they will be coddled. treat them like everything is fine and they will be fine.
:angel: My guys watch the TV too!!

Get more discus will solve problem ... if they're overcrowded they're ok
I so wish I could get more!! Kenny and Kraig have made it very hard for me to not get new ones!... but I have to look at the bigger picture... this tank is going to be converted to a planted tank once these guys pack some beef in their bodies.... uggghhh its so hard not to get new fish!

GrayLadyPat
12-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I, too threw mine into the deep end of the pool. My tank was always in the living room, right next to the kitchen. Grandkids, dogs, heavy traffic and TV on. The only down side I have seen is that they are now addicted to HGTV....

Seriously, tho, they were shy for the first few days after coming from a species specific tank into a community tank (long story) but they adjusted well, and now they are fine...in fact, every once in a while, a feeling of being watched comes over me, and I look beyond the computer to see a bunch of beady little eyes staring at me and willing me to feed them (again...)

manzpants92
12-16-2012, 02:48 AM
i had mine under some pretty strong T5 lighting and they are a little sensitive when the light goes on a first but after about 5 mins they're fine