PDA

View Full Version : Making a 240litre aquarium for discus..

pavlos
12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Good evening from Greece:D

This is not the first time that i will have discus in this aquarium (rio 240) but the other times i could not keep them for long because of my mistakes..
Firstly, do you agree on having discus on 240 litr?
The aquarium will not be bare bottom but will be like the biotope with a few plants..
If you agree i would like to hear your opinion on the number of discus, the capable plants and the value of ph that you recommend..

Thank you very much and part me for my bad English..

pavlos
12-12-2012, 02:41 PM

This is not the first time that i will have discus in this aquarium (rio 240) but the other times i could not keep them for long because of my mistakes..
The aquarium will not be bare bottom but will be like the biotope with a few plants..
If you agree i would like to hear your opinion on the number of discus, the capable plants and the value of ph that you recommend..

Any help will be appreciated..

Larry Bugg
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM
240 liters is fine. A discus biotope would not include any plants. Where they are located in the Amazon is a sand bottom with a lot of roots and limbs in the water but no plants. PH isn't so important, it is the consistency of the PH that is important.

Rick S
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Since 240 liters is about 63 gallons I would keep it at six discus, as far as plants as Larry said they are not really part of a discus biotope but you can use them. I would stay with low light plants like anubius. Welcome to simply Pavlos.

Good Luck, Rick

plecocicho
12-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Athough plants are mosltly absent in discus bitope (except floating plants, like Eichornia etc) you can still have a single Valisneria in it. I have V, gigantea and it grows in my tank without any problem, even though i have only 80w T8 lights over 413 l tank. You can also use pothos and Monstera with roots in the water, just look ii in Golden hoolywood thread in Kiska homesteader section.

pavlos
12-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Thank you for your answers.. I have no problem not having plants in the aquarium so I will put no plants.. The biggest thing that I am thinking is if the gallons will be ok when discus grow up and have their maximum size.. I am thinking on not having other fishes and I will surely put sand on the bottom.. Also, you recommend tap or r/o water?