PDA

View Full Version : Eye color?

MGKelly
12-10-2012, 01:10 PM
At what age can you determine the permanent eye color of a discus?
Does the eye start to color up at certain age?

thanks, J

darcy
12-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Good question,I have no answer for that one. All I ever worried about was that thier eyes were small (in relation to body) and that they were nice and round! :)

Eddie
12-11-2012, 12:03 AM
The eye color is generally pretty evident at a young age. I guess depending on the type, maybe around 3-4 months.

Len
12-11-2012, 12:16 AM
I could see the red eyes in my juvies at about 5 - 6 weeks old. I have some others that a little younger than that and no red yet and they are from the same parents. They are much smaller, though and I suspect it has more to do with size than age.

seanyuki
12-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Some discus have red or orange eyes depends on the genetic of the fish.....when breeding mood their eyes are more blood red.

MGKelly
12-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks Len, Can I be confident with eye color by 3 months or would color mature with age and size?
Another question, if the fish has the genetics for a solid colored "Iris" would that develop with size and age or is it evident as a juvenile?

J

I could see the red eyes in my juvies at about 5 - 6 weeks old. I have some others that a little younger than that and no red yet and they are from the same parents. They are much smaller, though and I suspect it has more to do with size than age.

Len
12-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, as I don't have an authoritative answer. I was just sharing the experience with my recent broods of fry. Other's with different fish may have different results.

Thanks Len, Can I be confident with eye color by 3 months or would color mature with age and size?
Another question, if the fish has the genetics for a solid colored "Iris" would that develop with size and age or is it evident as a juvenile?

J