PDA

View Full Version : ok another thread from me...

spiffyfish
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
so i got an idea of an overflow to suck debris from the bottom of the tank. got the idea from this video.
http://youtu.be/t5_49HJU7Dc?t=6m40s

here is what im trying to do, there will be a groove in the part at the bottom of the tank for the intake, with the groove turned down to help suck up debris. i also like the idea of the air pump pumping the water in stead of a pump but not sure if i would go as far to try it.
alot of you here know more than i do so that is why i am posting this to get some feedback on if you think it will work or not.

Mr.Al
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi Chris, I'm sure the overflow will work, as shown in the video. But what size aquarium are you planning to use this on? And will you be happy to always have to look at large pvc piping showing which will be on contsant display in order for the overflow to continue to work night and day? I guess i'm from the old school of thought, that being just follow a routine water changing schedule on my tanks, then put away the equipment used and sit back and enjoy the discus swimming through their tank in a more natural way, than having to look at something constructed and looks like a piece of commercial equipment to raise fish used for humans to end up eating instead a discus tank.. So I think the final descision will have to be yours Chris..Good luck, Al from Omaha

ZX10R
12-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I have come up with and used several different ideas to try and keep debri sucked up off the bottom of a tank. I can tell you none of them have work yet all the debri will just sit there unless you have something to keep it stirred up into the water column so it can get sucked up into your filter. The only way that will happen is have enough water movement that it keeps it stirred up or have something like a ray or catfish swimming along the bottom to keep it stirred up.

Here my latest idea I am trying I built my own overflow box that skims the surface of the water and also pulls in water from the bottom of the tank.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/20121016_171744_zps37baee5b.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/20121016_171612_zps7dec2493.jpg

Trier20
12-11-2012, 11:17 PM
I have come up with and used several different ideas to try and keep debri sucked up off the bottom of a tank. I can tell you none of them have work yet all the debri will just sit there unless you have something to keep it stirred up into the water column so it can get sucked up into your filter. The only way that will happen is have enough water movement that it keeps it stirred up or have something like a ray or catfish swimming along the bottom to keep it stirred up.

Here my latest idea I am trying I built my own overflow box that skims the surface of the water and also pulls in water from the bottom of the tank.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/20121016_171744_zps37baee5b.jpg
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac101/sig4s/20121016_171612_zps7dec2493.jpg

You could probably put a power head in the tank to shot stuff in the general area of where it needs to go

ZX10R
12-11-2012, 11:21 PM
You could probably put a power head in the tank to shot stuff in the general area of where it needs to go

I am doing something like that now keeps half the bottom of my 120 tank clean but it just moves all the debri to the other end of the tank. Poop and uneaten food sinks to the bottom so unless you have something to keep it stirred up it will just sit on the bottom.

spiffyfish
12-12-2012, 11:03 AM
ok so i have revised my crappy drawing, basically the returns and intake will T off from eachother. so one at each the top and bottom. this way hopefully the return water at the top and bottom would blow everything towards the bottom intake, and the top intake would act as the siphon break.

ZX10R
12-12-2012, 11:20 AM
What size tank will this be used on? Might work with a smaller tank but mine is 60" long and I can't get enough water movement across the tank to keep all the debri up off the bottom without causing to much current which the discus hate.

spiffyfish
12-12-2012, 12:32 PM
i may try this on a 75g so 48'' long.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I have 2 canister filters for my 110 (60" long) and even with the intakes about 1 inch from the bottom, I still can't get all the debris in certain "dead" areas of the tank.

Sean's idea is really good as it can pull from top and the bottom. My question is, if you place a small powerhead lets say on the left/center side of your tank and it pushes the debris on the bottom towards the back/right corner where your intake tube is, would this help getting most of the poop and food up? You don't want a strong powerhead, just a small enough current to push it to the intake.

Or, make a small spray bar the width of the tank and attach that to the powerhead to ensure you get all across the bottom?

ZX10R
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I really don't think there is a good way to keep all the debri up off the bottom but a good old python ;)

There will always be dead spots or to much current for discus. I have thought of making a tank with a cone bottom in it with the outlet in the bottom that way whatever sinks gets sucked out.