PDA

View Full Version : Water which remains in pvc between water changes

ilaizm
12-15-2012, 06:35 AM
My tanks and water storage barrels are connected using pvc pipes. The tanks are on ground floor, whilst my water storage barrels are two floors above. Does the water which remains in the pvc between tank and storage barrel go bad between one water change and the other? I'm asking since the water will be idle inside the pipe till the next water change.

thanks

DiscusLoverJeff
12-15-2012, 08:40 AM
I don't think it would if you are using it daily. You can always test the water before it enters your tanks if you think there might be issues.

DonMD
12-15-2012, 08:59 AM
It won't go bad, especially since you're changing water regularly. Each change refreshes the water in the pipes. One question: do you de-chlorinate your water? If yes, do you de-chlorinate it as it enters your fish tanks, or as it enters your storage barrels? I find that leaving the chlorinated water in the storage tank keeps it clean, not slimy.

Brokenrack
12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
If you have chloramines safe or prime will only bind the ammonia for 24 hours.
Scott

ilaizm
12-15-2012, 01:23 PM
I use Prime to de-chlorinate my water. I put it directly into the fish tanks when adding new water. What if I use it on a weekly basis instead of daily? Would a week with the same water go bad? Or if I add prime it will destroy whatever bad it has?