PDA

View Full Version : A fund raiser, not for Simply, for Newtown CT...Pls read!

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi all,
After the terrible events this past week in Connecticut, I would like to do something Positive for the families of those that lost loved ones in the school shooting. So I am encouraging people to donate if you can to the various funds set up to help that community. I don't like asking for donations to the forum, but every year I do so at years end where I basically remind people what they get for free here and ask them to contribute something, anything to forum.

This year I am not doing that...Instead I am asking you all to take what you got for free here, and show your appreciation by donating to this community in Connecticut that has lost so much precious to it. Thats what I want for Christmas here. I ask you to please help me help those that have lost so much.

I have donated thru the website and the process is very quick and easy.. https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

I posted general Info here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102023-Prayers-needed-Massive-tragedy-in-Connecticut&p=958078#post958078

Thank you on behalf of Simplydiscus.

-al

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Ps..Please post here if you do send funds... The amounts not important...Its the thought here..send what you can.

I know this is tough time of year for everyone, and that this little town tragedy may be far away from you, but they are not that far if you look at your own kids when you consider this.

Not convinced yet? I'll put it this way... What did one Discus cost you? what kind of information did you get here free that may have helped you keep your fish alive. Did you have disease issues you got help with? Breeding issues? Did you find excellent stock and product from our sponsors.. Did you meet like minded hobbyists? Find out about Discus related shows, meetings, clubs etc.... All these things have a value to you, don't they? Normally I would ask you to put a value on these things and contribute something to forum that made all that possible to you for free.

This time though its to help the victim's families and those affected by this terrible tragedy...Think about the forum and what it gave you, and give back but give to the funds that are trying to help these people.Please.

Donate here... https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/
-al

DiscusLoverJeff
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I sent through my company $100.00 and company matched 3 to 1 so they will be getting $400.00.
Did the same for "Sandy" relief as well.

A little help in these situations does go along way.

Thanks for the post Al

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I sent through my company $100.00 and company matched 3 to 1 so they will be getting $400.00.
Did the same for "Sandy" relief as well.

A little help in these situations does go along way.

Thanks for the post Al
Jeff,
Thank you so MUCH!!!!! Thats just awesome!!

-al

yim11
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Thank you very much for this Al, you are a great person. And Jeff, thank you for reminding about company matches, I checked and the company I work for also matches donations so I am also donating through them so more is contributed.

Thanks again,
-jim

DiscusLoverJeff
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Off to a great start!

At this time of year company match is very important and very useful.

Second Hand Pat
12-17-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm in too. Thanks Jeff and Jim. Every little bit helps.

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Jim, Thanks for helping out here, same to you Pat!

Come On SimplyDiscus, we can do better than this can't we? A few dollars to help this community to heal? If you were the ones affected by this, imagine how it would feel to know that people cared enough to try and help in any way they could.

Think about it please...Reach out and send some help to someone you don't know.... I'm asking you as someone that lives out here and knows people dealing with this, but I am really asking you as the person that brings you this forum day in and day...Help me to Help them.

Thankyou,
al

chaoslite
12-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Done.

Mishka

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Done.

Mishka

Thank YOU Mishka!!

-al

Northwoods Discus
12-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Just donated. Al, I am honored to help in the name of Simply Discus.

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Just donated. Al, I am honored to help in the name of Simply Discus. Bill, Thanks for the support here. I can't think of a more meaningful gift right now than to try and help these families anyway we can.

-al

2075turner
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Done Al. I hope that the families will get the help that they need to move on from such a senseless tragedy.

jaykne
12-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I just Donated and encourage everyone that comes on this forum to please donate what you can!!!

brewmaster15
12-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks Evelyn and Thanks Larry!

Even a little bit here would folks.. Its times like these that people need to come together...show your support of these families and donate something...any amount you can.

My 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter saw what I was doing with this thread just now and when I explained it to them they told me I could use their allowance for as many weeks as it takes to raise money here. Leave it to Kids to know whats really important!!

-al

jaykne
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Come on guys this is pretty sad a 9 and 11 year old child can find a way to donate I think we can :(!!! By the way those are some good kids you are raising there Al :)!!!

pcsb23
12-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Donation made.

Folks, I know things are tough and that the global economy sucks. I also know that the USA has endured some dreadful tragedies recently, not least Sandy. What has happened at Sandy Hook School transcends even that. If everyone donates the price of a coffee they will have a fund that at least gives them an opportunity to help and re-build shattered lives. I cannot begin to imagine the pain caused by losing a child, it is bad enough losing a parent even when they are old, but to lose our future in this way?

So please, just donate a few dollars.

https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

Eddie
12-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Donated! Awesome gesture Al! You rock!

Disgirl
12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
My donation also made Al. When I think of how we all mourn the loss of a discus that dies in our tank, just can't imagine the horror of losing a small child as these parents have.
Barb

Chicago Discus
12-17-2012, 06:17 PM
This is a great idea we are doing this at my work anything would help, even if everyone just gave $5 we would have a nice amount to help the families involved in this tragedy......Josie

Second Hand Pat
12-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks Eddie, Barb and Josie, appreciate it and every little bit helps.

bonsai dave
12-18-2012, 05:11 AM
My wife and I Just made our Donation.

Second Hand Pat
12-18-2012, 09:22 AM
My wife and I Just made our Donation.

Thanks Dave :)

Dogvet06
12-18-2012, 11:20 AM
i made my donation to the animal center (http://www.theanimalcenter.org/donate.htm) in Newton for little Catherine Hubbard. The family asked for her donations to be sent there b/c of the animal lover that she was.

ZX10R
12-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I just donated

Kingdom Come Discus
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks Al for creating this thread. I may not have donated if it had not been in front of me!!!!

Discus Origins
12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Donation made, thanks for posting this Al.

I do have a suggestion....can we make this a sticky at the top part of the homepage? I only stumbled onto this going through different threads, if anyone posts a new comment in General Discussion this post gets kicked off the main page. It would definitely help more people see this.

DLock3d
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm with Kraig, thanks Al. Donation made.

brewmaster15
12-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks to Everyone thats donated so far. I was hoping to see more support than this, but thank all of you that have helped out...Its not too late though to help!

Maybe I should clarify this... When you donate to this cause, its not coming to me personally. The link is to a united way fund thats been set up .... https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/

When theres a natural disaster like an earth quake or flood, these kind of funds are set up to provide food water shelter.. Tangible things that money can buy to help replace whats been destroyed. This is different...What you are providing are services to help people deal with the grief and loss.To help children that witnessed this get the help they need and the families.. This isn't like buying a tent or water bottle... These people will be dealing with this trauma for the rest of their lives.. I can't imagine the nightmares people there are having when they close their eyes..I Can't even imagine what its like for the families to look into the kids empty beds at night...and sob themselves to sleep over their losses.

You've got a chance to do something Positive here for these people in need..don't think someone else will...the only way that they can get thru this tragedy now and in the years to come is with the help of people like you.

A few dollars, whatever you can spare... IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Thanks,
al

brewmaster15
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Not Sure?

You need to take the time to connect with these people... spend sometime here...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/victims-identified-in-ct-school-shooting-slideshow/handout-photo-12-20-young-schoolchildren-killed-sandy-photo-065603204.html

-al

ZX10R
12-19-2012, 03:29 PM
I was hoping to see more support than this

I agree and it is sad that I have seen more people on here donate money to help buy someone a fish then to help these families out.

Discus-n00b
12-19-2012, 04:53 PM
I donated.

YSS
12-19-2012, 05:17 PM
I agree and it is sad that I have seen more people on here donate money to help buy someone a fish then to help these families out.

I am sure there are a ton of people donating to this cause who did not post on this thread.

brewmaster15
12-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I am sure there are a ton of people donating to this cause who did not post on this thread.

Yun
Yun,
Thats great, and I don't mean to put anyone on the Spot...but if someones donated elsewhere, thats great...I'd love see it posted here like Josie did if thats the case... It may encourage others to do the same.

Everyone, please Remember I am doing this in lieu of funding requests for the forum. Thats how much I want to help these families and kids. You've had the forum for free now for years and years and years. Relatively few ever support it (not to take away from the generous ones that do by any means) so what I am asking is, instead of sending in a contribution to SimplyDiscus...send it to these people that are dealing with something so tragic that few of us can even relate to.

PLEASE!!

Thanks everyone!!
-al

DiscusLoverJeff
12-20-2012, 12:36 PM
A funny thing happened around the office yesterday. In discussion regarding the shooting, I brought up that donations were being excepted through the Red Cross, United Way and other local charities in that region; many folks here made some very nice donations. I also mentioned it to some friends from my previous company and I can't tell you how many people have made donations to these charities. When company match comes into play and when I brought that issue up and maybe the time of the year, people were a little more generous.

So as mentioned by many here so far, every little bit helps these families devistated by grief. If you haven't checked with your company, look into company match and make sure they give you the form to fill out and get it back in as soon as possible. These people need every penny.

Happy Holidays and thank you from me.

Jeff

ZX10R
12-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I sent my company the email link on here since my company shoves United Way down our throat every year wanting us to donate to programs in our area. All I heard back was crickets :mad:

wdeleon01
12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Done

2075turner
12-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I posted the link on my facebook page in hopes to get others to donate Al. I can't imagine how the parents can proceed on with life after such an horror. How their siblings can move on without their brothers, sisters. What do you tell them? I have twin boys that are 6. This event has deeply impacted me. I look at them and can't understand how someone can gun down such innocence and gun down those trying to protect children. My heart goes out to everyone that was affected. My prayers are with you all and I wish you peace as you are going through the holidays.

brewmaster15
12-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks For helping out Walter!:) A little from all of us here would do so much good!

I posted the link on my facebook page in hopes to get others to donate Al. I can't imagine how the parents can proceed on with life after such an horror. How their siblings can move on without their brothers, sisters. What do you tell them? I have twin boys that are 6. This event has deeply impacted me. I look at them and can't understand how someone can gun down such innocence and gun down those trying to protect children. My heart goes out to everyone that was affected. My prayers are with you all and I wish you peace as you are going through the holidays.
Evelyn, When I got the facebook notice it brought a smile to my face...thanks for taking the time to do that...Its a great cause, and I know what ever funds we generate here will help someone there that badly needs it.

-al

magewynd
12-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I also donated here.
i made my donation to the animal center (http://www.theanimalcenter.org/donate.htm) in Newton for little Catherine Hubbard. The family asked for her donations to be sent there b/c of the animal lover that she was.

Ardan
12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
I finally got the job done.
It's not too late folks.

Ardan

Organic Farmer
12-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Done.Thanks Al

Bill63SG
12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Done.

RogueDiscus
12-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Done. I made a contribution to both. Thanks Al and Merry Christmas to all!
Steve

Rick S
01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Donation made today Al thank you for the thought.

DLock3d
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
I was thinking about this today. It's a new year and Christmas has past. Most of us have continued with our lives as normal. I for one am very grateful to be here and my thoughts are still with those families who have paid a price too high to fathom. It's not too late to donate.

parrottbay
04-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Is it too late now?

parrottbay
04-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Wasnt for sure, but donated anyways.http://forum.simplydiscus.com/newreply.php?p=964915&noquote=1