PDA

View Full Version : best plants that lower nitrates

Robherf
12-17-2012, 04:04 PM
what plants have the highest nitrate consumption

while incorperating a planted refugium wich plants should be added to "eat" nitrates at the optimum rate

doivuthe
12-18-2012, 01:16 AM
people said that pothos or lucky bamboo can eat nitrate very efficient
But i try and not get good result
WC frequenlty will help you best
Or add seachem denitrate, i'm using it for 3 days and brown algea has slowly gone

Elliots
12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
If you can not get an answer here try The Planted Tank forum. Personally I have Sword plants but I never considered how much nitrate reduction I get. Also Sword plants seem to go with Discus.

leo1234
12-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Frogbit!! Very easy to care.

kimbo
12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Frogbit!! Very easy to care.

I have heard the same.

ashtricks
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Any fast growers will consume more nitrates. It is not just the nitrates though. In order to get optimal growth of the plant, it will need other nutrients like CO2. I did not want to go for a full fledged planted tank yet. So I got a bunch of plants that grow out of the water but can live when their roots are submerged in water. (like lucky bamboo). This way, they can get CO2 from the atmosphere, and frequent water changes would not harm them as much.
In case of a refugium, I would go for water sprite, wysteria like plants which can grow out of the water too. And supplement them with root tabs in the substrate. If you are willing to spend the buck, you can also go for miracle mud. You will get a bunch of insects coming out once when you set up. So don't be alarmed. Don't go for java moss. It is hard to clean up after.

sheaspina
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
if you're going to consider things like pothos or the bamboo, these are terrestrial plants, you don't need to worry about co2 content in your water, they will grow like weeds regardless. That said, you don't want to submerge them either, only the roots need water. They can sit in a hob, on top of the tank, in a sump, etc.

imho, if your only reason for wanting to use plants is nitrate consumption, and want to keep things simple, terrestrial is the way to go.

Oscarsx
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Stem plants consume more nitrate than root feeders.
But to keep plants alive, nitrate alone won't be enough, you have to consider lighting, fertilization and maybe co2 for rapid growth thus consuming nitrate faster..

It be cheaper if you just did water changes lol

- oz