PDA

View Full Version : Aggression!

Tharr
12-20-2012, 03:58 AM
I have a pair of turks(check post in foods - only bloodworms!! - that have recently just started eating flakes crisps etc also with a bit of bloodworms as a treat. Just a couple of days ago, the bigger one(4") has started chasing the smaller guy(3.5") around the tank and keeps him to one corner at almost all times. He doesnt even get to eat as he is immediately chased away when he approaches the food. Its been 2-3 days since this started and Im worried I might lose the smaller guy. :( He even has bloat or constipation but still used to eat quite a bit.
Should I separate them or get more to disperse the aggression? I have a 20 gal and I think I wont be getting a bigger one anytime soon. Need some views on this!?:confused:

Second Hand Pat
12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
You might try spreading the food around the tank. The larger one can not be everywhere at once. If the bloat persists you may consider a thread in the disease section.

Tharr
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I have tried that too but the big one just guards all the food on the floor and the small guy is scared to death of him. He now hardly come out of his hiding spot in the top corner and if he does come out, he is chased till he goes right back to the same spot. Really worried about him and has started clamping his fins a bit. What else can I do?

I do have a post in the disease section labeled "EPSOM Paste". Would be kind if anyone could go through that and help a bit there too.

John_Nicholson
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
This question and the best solution has been posted hundreds if not thousands of times. I might suggest you spend some time reading/searching the existing threads. You will probably gain a lot more knowledge than if this question just gets answered again.

-john

3dees
12-20-2012, 10:49 AM
you may not want to hear this but you should have expected this from the start. you only have two fish in a tank that is far too small. in a while you will probably have one discus, and it will never show it's true beauty in thank tank.

Second Hand Pat
12-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Two things, add a divider which really is not a solution or add more fish. You will find the recommend group size is six or more fish. One reason for that is to spread the aggression. Another reason is to discus are a schooling fish and find safety in numbers. Remember to always QT new fish.

As a second thought you could try hand feeding.

Tharr
12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
If I were to add more fish, how many more for a 20 gal and how many times should I change the water and clean up?

John_Nicholson
12-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok I am not trying to be mean but you need to stop asking questions and start doing some reading. If you want to raise up some discus get a tank that is at least 55 gallons and go with at least 6. The trouble here is you do not have near enough knowledge to raise discus. There is a really good beginners section on this forum. You need to spend the next 4 hours or so reading every post that you can.

-john

manzpants92
12-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Ok I am not trying to be mean but you need to stop asking questions and start doing some reading. If you want to raise up some discus get a tank that is at least 55 gallons and go with at least 6. The trouble here is you do not have near enough knowledge to raise discus. There is a really good beginners section on this forum. You need to spend the next 4 hours or so reading every post that you can.

-john

+1

Tharr
12-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Ok, did some reading and came up with things like 10 gal min per large discus, groups of 4-6 better than pairs, regular large wcs, varied diet etc, most of which I have already read before.

I have done quite some reading up on this matter and with all respect to you, the experts of this hobby, thank you for helping me.

But what questions I have are a bit specific to my case and I just can't find the perfect answer to them. People like Second Hand Pat are actually giving the info I need and so I will be very thankful to you too if you could look a bit deeper into my question. I know you are not trying to be mean but please do know that I do care for these fish as much as you all do but being just a kid of 16 years, I would need all the help I can get.

Back to the matter, the aggressive behavior is there even when there is no food in the tank. So do I need to separate them, or add a couple more discus(compulsorily with more wcs) to spread aggression? Please do tell me.

manzpants92
12-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Until you manage you maybe get a bigger tank to put in a couple more fish and spread the aggression that way i'd probably just put a divider in the tank. You can pick these up at the fish store, or i went to the craft store and got some plastic mesh sheeting and i suction cupped it to the side of my tank(only like $3.00)

pastry
12-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Tharr, John's right. And when I was 16 I had already had discus for a few years. My money was from working part time at the fish shop I'd get my discu from during the school year along with near full time job else where over the summer. Do you work?

Meanwhile, I DO have a similar set up and will offer a few things I've done but keep in mind it's for a few culls that, while I still care for them,... I kind of don't (I know, that makes no sense). I have a 24 gallon aquapod in my son's room that I put a few culls in that won't grow big anyhow. I have a bunch of obstacles for the smaller cull to get away from the bigger one and get some food in his belly during feeding time. These fish will never be big and I don't think you would get the most out of your first discus by doing that... but in the interim I thought I'd tell you about small tank.

So maybe try a bunch of obstacles for now but don't hang your hat on being 16 and penniless unless you actually are working but having to put more money towards family well-being, so on and so forth. Otherwise, cut some lawns, shovel some drive ways, and go on craigslist for a 55 and tank supplies my friend. PM me any time but I'm with John on this... you have more to learn.

SMB2
12-20-2012, 03:21 PM
The quickest solution seems to be a divider. Don't need to start a bigger tank right this moment and won't add to the work load, water changes etc. It will allow the smaller fish to recover and let you see what the bloat thing is all about. Over time you may be able to get the smaller fish to hand feed which may help down the road if you set up a larger system with more fish. Finally it is a good learning experience about cichlid behavior. Keep reading and posting.

Elliots
12-20-2012, 04:20 PM
John Nicholson, wrong for the first time! Maybe 1-2 topics can be read in 4 hours, there are so many posts and threads that 4 hours goes by very quickly. I personally would not get Discus without reading more. I have spent hundreds of hours on SD reading. I would say at least 20 hours maybe 40 of reading to get started. Not all at once. John, I'll bet you have spent thousands of hours reading based on your number of posts but please keep reading and keep posting!