PDA

View Full Version : Balancing light for plants and Discus

SMB2
12-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a 90 gal planted tank growing mostly swords. The lighting is with four 54 watt T5 Gieseman bulbs. 2 Aquafolra (~6500k) on for 12 hours and two Mid Day (also ~6500K) on for five hours mid day.
Most of the plants are growing: I use PFertzs and Excel and after four months no algae to speak of.
I seem to have enough light for the plants but is it to much for the 6 Discus (also doing fine so far) that I added 2 weeks ago?
There are always lots of threads about lighting for plants, and the need to have somewhat low light for Discus. I couldn't find a reference for the balance between the two.

Eddie
12-21-2012, 02:58 PM
If the fish are doing fine as you say, I wouldn't worry about it. They get accustomed to whatever setting you put them in.

SMB2
12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks again Eddie,
"Fine" is a purely subjective term from someone who has never kept Discus. They swim, they bunch up, they push each other around, they pick, sometimes they are brilliant, sometimes a little darker or show their bars. They all eat like crazy. There are places in the tank that are shaded so I guess they could hang out there if they wanted to.

It would be great if somebody would post "a day in the life of a healthy Discus"! Maybe include pictures. If these were SW fish I could look at them and tell you in a second if they were behaving normally. I just have no history with Discus.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-21-2012, 03:24 PM
I had very similar lighting including the time on and off as you and my discus did great and spawned frequently so I know the lighting did not effect them per say. I do know that too much light may not be suitable for albinos, but shoud be ok for all others.

Pictures of your tank would be nice!

Eddie
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks again Eddie,
"Fine" is a purely subjective term from someone who has never kept Discus. They swim, they bunch up, they push each other around, they pick, sometimes they are brilliant, sometimes a little darker or show their bars. They all eat like crazy. There are places in the tank that are shaded so I guess they could hang out there if they wanted to.

It would be great if somebody would post "a day in the life of a healthy Discus"! Maybe include pictures. If these were SW fish I could look at them and tell you in a second if they were behaving normally. I just have no history with Discus.

Well, I'm pretty sure you would be able to tell if something was wrong. They wouldn't eat, they'd be hiding or skittish, dark colored, etc.

manzpants92
12-21-2012, 03:52 PM
had mine under 4 T5HO lights and they got adjusted in no time

SMB2
12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Here are some pics.
The full tank shots show both the four bulb (brighter) and two bulb (Aquaflora has some blue tint) settings.
Also a shot of the school as well as two discus of the six that spend more time darker. One gets picked on a little more by one fish that is starting to be the boss. The last two days there has been a little more sparing going on.
Once again I am guilty of getting the camera out after feeding! I think you can see that all are quite full. They may all be a little dark because of the substrate?
The Discus have been in the tank for two weeks today. The plants 4+ months and the Rummey Nose etc. for 3+ months. The Tetras have great red noses and that should also speak to the water quality. 50 gal WC today, the tank has a W->D filter and a Magnum 350. Temp 84.5. Ph 7.7 (which is my aged tap water as well). 5-10 ppm Nitrates.