PDA

View Full Version : Discus eggs not hatching?

shieldsman
12-21-2012, 01:35 PM
On 6/12 I received 5ea. of 3 varieties of 3-4" discus from Hans. They did well in their own 150 gal. tank. Two of the red scribblets paired off and spawned twice with each spawn failing to hatch after 2 days. I removed the pair and placed in their own 29g. I then gradually softened the water as I had read that eggs had a much beter chance in soft water. After 2 more spawns no luck. After 24hrs. 50 out of approx. 250 are white & 90% after 48hrs. at which time the parents eat. I know they are a pair as I have watched them spawn. Female laying followed by male. They seem like a great pair; constantly fanning & blowing on the eggs. I also keep water turbulance at a minimum during spawning. Temp. at 85 & Ph 7.0. Seems like they would all be white after 24hrs. if they weren't fertile. I have read that some breeders sterilize their fish. I hope this isn't the case with Hans. Anyone have experience breeding his fish? Any help with my hatching problem will be greatly appreciated! I have been keeping & breeding fish for 50 yrs. but this is my first experience with discus. Wish I had gotten them years ago as they are great! They are such friendly fish that I can actually lift them from the water in my hand. Not that I make it a practice but no net no fuss is unusual. Thank you, Dave

John_Nicholson
12-21-2012, 01:39 PM
LOL...I promise they are not sterile. Some of the easiest to spawn fish are Stendlers. My guess from the little that you posted the male probably just needs more time. It is fairly normal for the females to start laying eggs before the male is ready. Give them several more months and I bet you get fry.

-john

John_Nicholson
12-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh and I would also drop the temp to 82. No need for it to be higher than that.

-john