PDA

View Full Version : SPOTTED UPSIDEDOWN CAT FISH ATTACKING DISCUS FISH

ganesan
12-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I recently got about a dozen 1 inch upside down catfish and added to my 6 feet bare bottom discus tank which has sponge filters and canister filters.No problems initially but I noticed today evening when I dimmed the lights in the evening these catfish were chasing some discus around the tank.I had past experiance when similar episode happened to my discus and i removed the stressed discus and kept them seperately with API Stress coat added in a small tank for 24 hours and the discus were fine again when I introduced them back.
Tomorrow I plan to remove all these catfish which are mostly under the sponge filters and put them in a different tank with no discus.Tell me if these up side down catfish always disturb the discusfish and any remedy if I have to keep them in the same tank.Will they attack discus during the night when I switch off the lights as I heard they are nocturnal.

Ganesan,
Chennai

manzpants92
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I'd take them out of the tank. I haven't had a lot of experience with these fish so i can't give you a specific answer. If they are nocturnal they will be more active at night, so yes they may cause even more stress than seen during the day. It's not worth keeping them in the tank if they disturb your discus

John_Nicholson
12-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Lots of fish enjoy the taste of discus slime. Use a dwarf bristle nose and you will be fine.

-john

sandy
12-22-2012, 02:15 AM
My discus are happy without cat fish my albino cat fish harness discus while feed time :mad:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Trier20
12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I keep my discus to themselves. When I first started off I had one that would try to attach to the side of the discus. He ended up in the middle of the street.

manzpants92
12-23-2012, 03:20 AM
I keep my discus to themselves. When I first started off I had one that would try to attach to the side of the discus. He ended up in the middle of the street.

LOL