PDA

View Full Version : heater that will grow with discus

Teakwood
12-23-2012, 01:28 AM
I need opinions on heaters. Im going to try my hand at discus and I may (not sure yet) start out with young discus in a smaller tank for grow out, I know smaller tanks can be harder to maintain ideal parameters but I have done my research and I have faith that I can do it. Im hoping to get a 40g to start but I may end up starting smaller, anywhere from 10-29g with approx. dime-quarter sized discus. Im hoping to find a heater that will maintain the 82-86 degree temp in a smaller grow out tank and also in a larger tank. Any suggestions? This has been my biggest hurdle in decisions thus far. I know that sounds silly... any suggestions are appreciated.

Poco
12-23-2012, 02:12 AM
You can use any oversize heater lets say jager 300watts and use a temp controller like Finnex to keep it in check. That way you will reduce the risk of having fish soup.

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/finnex-hc-0810-digital-heater-controller.html

sandy
12-23-2012, 02:26 AM
You can use any oversize heater lets say jager 300watts and use a temp controller like Finnex to keep it in check. That way you will reduce the risk of having fish soup.

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/finnex-hc-0810-digital-heater-controller.html

But jager has a automatic temp checker it will turn off when water reach desire temp

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Poco
12-23-2012, 02:45 AM
But jager has a automatic temp checker it will turn off when water reach desire temp

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Of course they have a thermostat but heaters do get stuck and an oversize heater will boil the fish.

Heaters are not that expensive, I would personally go with heater which is appropriate for the tank size and always have a spare as a backup JMO.

cjr8420
12-23-2012, 03:01 AM

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2heaters go bad and most dont understand how to even calibrate the jagars .and say a 300 watt sticks on in a 29 gal tank that ='s fish soup

I need opinions on heaters. Im going to try my hand at discus and I may (not sure yet) start out with young discus in a smaller tank for grow out, I know smaller tanks can be harder to maintain ideal parameters but I have done my research and I have faith that I can do it. Im hoping to get a 40g to start but I may end up starting smaller, anywhere from 10-29g with approx. dime-quarter sized discus. Im hoping to find a heater that will maintain the 82-86 degree temp in a smaller grow out tank and also in a larger tank. Any suggestions? This has been my biggest hurdle in decisions thus far. I know that sounds silly... any suggestions are appreciated.
dont be cheap or cut corners with discus u just end up with crappy or dead discus.heaters are inexpensive and u should have a backup 1 if the 1st stops working so more than 1 heater anyways.i would say get the bigger tank and heater and use a divider if the fish are to small for the tank.gl

cjr8420
12-23-2012, 03:05 AM
Of course they have a thermostat but heaters do get stuck and an oversize heater will boil the fish.

Heaters are not that expensive, I would personally go with heater which is appropriate for the tank size and always have a spare as a backup JMO.

i need to learn to type faster lol

Poco
12-23-2012, 03:25 AM
i need to learn to type faster lol

LOL

Teakwood
12-23-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanks

Teakwood
12-23-2012, 04:20 AM
heaters go bad and most dont understand how to even calibrate the jagars .and say a 300 watt sticks on in a 29 gal tank that ='s fish soup

dont be cheap or cut corners with discus u just end up with crappy or dead discus.heaters are inexpensive and u should have a backup 1 if the 1st stops working so more than 1 heater anyways.i would say get the bigger tank and heater and use a divider if the fish are to small for the tank.gl

Ftr not trying to be cheap or cut corners, just asking opinions.

100fuegos
12-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Just get the biggest tank you can afford and do not fill it to the top while the fish are small. Get the heater, and a replacement, to heat the said tank once is full of water. Buy once.

jjgunshot
12-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I use the 500 watt Titanium Heater w/ ETCI Controller I absolutely love it! holds the temp within a degree and has a digital read out and allows you to set temp with box outside of the tank so as to avoid the guess work with the other heaters.

dbfzurowski
12-24-2012, 06:38 PM
For my 40G tank I have two 100w Jagers. If one fails there's already a backup inside the tank.
For my ~75G I have two 150w heaters. I will never do a single heater again...no matter what brand.

GrayLadyPat
12-24-2012, 07:36 PM
My heater is a bit different. My tank was (and is) a community tank that happens to house Discus.

A regular submersible heater didn't work for me because there were "cold spots" where the water didnt flow past the heater core in order to be heated up.

I have an in-line Hydor heater. It keeps my water perfectly at whatever I set it. It mounts outside the tank in the hose of the cannister output. Nice thing about it is that if the water I put back into the tank is a degree or two cooler than the water in the tank, it recovers and makes it nice and warm. No hot or cold spots either. Only thing you have to remember is that when you draw the tank water down below the intakes of the cannisters and have to shut them off, you need to unplug it until you have your cans running again. Since it receives the water before it enters the tank, it doesn't depend on water flow within the tank to spread the heat around.

I also have a backup in case it ever fails.

As far as tank size, I am pretty sure that the way it works is on water flow from the cannister, so it wouldn't matter if I was heating a 30gal or a 60gal. IMHO, no risk of over or under heating the water.

I am not advocating the use of this type of heater is for everyone, but it is working very well for me, and has done so for a long time.