PDA

View Full Version : white eggs

jwelectric
12-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Is it possible for a fish to lay eggs and them not being sought by a male? They are white in color and starting to come lose and float away. There is one snakeskin that guards them alone.

John_Nicholson
12-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Yes. It is very common. You might want to spend some time reading up on stuff in the breeding section of this forum.

-john

jwelectric
12-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I have done some reading but breeding is not what I am looking foward to. It is a 90 gallon tank with 12 discus already and I don't think there is room for a bunch of babies.

I was just looking for assurance that as long as they were white they would not hatch. Looked in just a few minutes ago and a lot of them are gone.

If this is what I have to look foward to I suppose I will have to spring for another tank. I wasn't expecting this with these fish but I suppose it is going to happen even if I don't want it to.

John_Nicholson
12-26-2012, 09:00 AM
The most natual thing for any healthy animal to do is to breed. Unfertilized eggs turn white. Chances are this will continue to happen many more times before they get it right. No need to worry about it.

-john

Eddie
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM
The most natual thing for any healthy animal to do is to breed.

-john

+1

It's funny the amount of people who keep animals/fish and get surprised when they breed. It's natural, they procreate...you can't stop them. LOL

jwelectric
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
once again she is watching her eggs. After a couple of days these are not turning white.

Being a dummy I could use some advice about what to do when/should some of these hatch.

There are 14 discus in this tank with 6 cory cats and 12 neon.

Eddie
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
once again she is watching her eggs. After a couple of days these are not turning white.

Being a dummy I could use some advice about what to do when/should some of these hatch.

There are 14 discus in this tank with 6 cory cats and 12 neon.

How old are the fish? Maybe the male isn't old enough yet.

jwelectric
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Well these aren’t eggs any more. They look like little spots that wiggle; I have never seen anything like this before.

There is only one fish sucking them into its mouth and a couple of seconds later spitting them back out. It looks like there are fewer and fewer of them as the day goes by.

Am I supposed to hand out cigars now?

Trier20
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Well these aren’t eggs any more. They look like little spots that wiggle; I have never seen anything like this before.

There is only one fish sucking them into its mouth and a couple of seconds later spitting them back out. It looks like there are fewer and fewer of them as the day goes by.

Am I supposed to hand out cigars now?

Yes you are! Please ship mine to my house :)
They are wigglers now, then in a couple days they will free swim and probably be eaten by the others in the tank before they attach to their parents. If you're serious about wanting to raise fry which takes ALOT of time and energy and water and food and water and food and water and time, then I would suggest going out and buying either a 20H or a 29 gallon tank getting it cycled and put them in there. Then you'll need an RO unit depending on your parameters and you'll want to order some brine shrimp eggs. Then to hatch brine shrimp you'll need to set up a hatchery most likely out of a 10 gallon tank. HTH

jwelectric
01-12-2013, 05:59 AM
As predicted they are now gone but thanks to one member I know what to do next time. Thanks Gills

gills
01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Your welcome.