PDA

View Full Version : Crazy fish question

Sman
12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I have a 130 gallon tall tank with 8 large wild blue and heckel discus in it...last night I was watching them and all of a sudden one of the largest blues just went crazy . He was spinning around and bouncing off the driftwood ... he kind of freaked me out , very violent . He scarred himself up a little bit but he is fine this morning ... afew scuffs but fine . What do you you think set him off ? These are large fish , for me ( 5.5 inches to 6.5 inches ) and I have had this particular discus for about 3 years and some of the others longer . Never seen a discus act like this ...just curious if anyone has had this happen . He hit all the corners and was flopping around on the top of the water .

matt56
12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Ive not had one freak out that bad but ive had one jump and hit the aquarium canopy from me accidently slamming the stand door. Sometimes they just freak out too so he may have just been super spooked by nothing.

YSS
12-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a 130 gallon tall tank with 8 large wild blue and heckel discus in it...last night I was watching them and all of a sudden one of the largest blues just went crazy . He was spinning around and bouncing off the driftwood ... he kind of freaked me out , very violent . He scarred himself up a little bit but he is fine this morning ... afew scuffs but fine . What do you you think set him off ? These are large fish , for me ( 5.5 inches to 6.5 inches ) and I have had this particular discus for about 3 years and some of the others longer . Never seen a discus act like this ...just curious if anyone has had this happen . He hit all the corners and was flopping around on the top of the water .

Have you added anything new to the tank? If not, some say that ammonia in the water can cause fish to behave like that. I've had many fish in the past that did this, but never really got to find out why. Good luck.

Sman
12-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Water is fine . I think the TV was moved to a different angle in this room , could have caused the freak out . Before they (the fish) couldn't see the screen at all , looks like the kids moved it around so they could all watch a movie in there the other day . Flashing lights could have made them freak . Or they were tense because of the company that came for the holiday .Did not notice till today that one side of the aquarium is getting alot of light from the 73 inch . Who knows? Thanks again .

DonMD
12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Any stray electrical current in the water? A bad heater, maybe? Just guessing . . .

Sman
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Could it be a light ? I just changed the lighting about 6days ago ...same bulbs but different housing .

Sman
12-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Wow ... I have been watching the fish in this tank ( the tank is 3 W by 3 tall by 2 D) and when the fish would swim near the top they would shudder . I put the old light back on this tank and for the last couple hours no problems ... good thinking Don from Virginia I owe you one .