PDA

View Full Version : Discus Lighting

jjgunshot
12-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

Im slowly assembling a custom tank and am looking into lighting. My question is is this light adequate for Discus.

I really rather not get into the due it yourself stuff as Im not particularly handy lol So is this light good for discus + night viewing?

This is the light I like.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/fish/lighting/t5-ho-light-fixture-4-x-54-w-60.html

Question tho is this the SAME light on petsolution as big als light?

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-T-5-Fixture/I/AquaticLife-T5-4-Lamp-Fixtures.aspx

Thank you guys for all your help!

Is there a spot on the forums we can post a grow out log/ custom aquarium goal etc?

Poco
12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Big Al's is the last place I will buy anything online. Are you in Canada? Then check out these stores

Petsandponds.com
Mops.ca
Jlaquatics.com

Discus don't need too bright lights unless you have a planted tank.

jjgunshot
12-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Very few lights come in a 60" length it seems

Cant find any 60" fixtures on those sites that come with moonlights as well

jjgunshot
12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Big Al's is the last place I will buy anything online. Are you in Canada? Then check out these stores

Petsandponds.com
Mops.ca
Jlaquatics.com

Discus don't need too bright lights unless you have a planted tank.

Ya I noticed there online prices are way out there

DiscusLoverJeff
12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
www.kensfish.com

They have some great prices on light fixtures and bulbs and they might ship to Canada.

I had the same issues trying to find a 60" fixture so I fired up my 48" T5 and just raised it higher to cover more tank.

jjgunshot
12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Jeff I love the integrated moonlights! I think I might get the light I posted in the first one. Just wanted to make sure its the same light as the big als one. Also is pet solutions reputable?

decoy50
12-26-2012, 06:19 PM
I've used Pet Solutions many times & never had a problem - quick shipping too & they run lots of sales. My only gripe is they don't carry Eheim Jagr heaters...its Dr Foster & Smith for me when I need a heater.

jjgunshot
12-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Called big als online canada and they refuse to price match pet solutions even tho pet solutions will ship to Canada lol.

Funny in total would cost me $399.99 (regular price) for the light fixture + $46 in shipping to get it to canada.

Where as Big als would cost $559.99 (on sale) + free shipping