PDA

View Full Version : Red Algae issues

GrayLadyPat
12-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Ok, so I am not sure which forum to post this in, so please, feel free to move it where it needs to be...

I have a red algae problem. In the past, I would throw a couple of SAE into the tank and as long as there wasn't too much other algae in it, they would eat it. I know they're one of the few "algae eaters" that will eat red algae, but when I got a pair last week, they ended up going back to the LFS...darned things were feeding on the discus slime.

Anyways, short of completely tearing down my tank and hand scrubbing everything, is there a way I can minimize the outbreak? I don't seem to have much else in the way of algae problems, but my "groundskeepers" won't eat red algae. Chems are a no-no for me. (just sayin')

Tharr
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
I had an outbreak of red algae once, and I totally had to tear down my aquarium to get rid of it. Had to throw away all the sand substrate in it, such a waste of a couple kgs of it. After, continuous regular cleaning and wcs had it under control, although I did end p with the brown(diatom maybe) algae in my tank.

DerekFF
12-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Red algae? I dont think ive seen freshwater red algae. Any pics?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

decoy50
12-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I get that too from time to time, only in tanks that I run T5s on - usually when its time to change my bulbs. Handscrubbing is the only thing I've found that will get rid of it.

GrayLadyPat
12-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Red algae? I dont think ive seen freshwater red algae. Any pics?

Red algae isn't really red. It's a very dark green feathery tufts that look almost black to the naked eye. I am not sure why they call it red algae. I don't even really have a lot of it, just a few places. The biggest issue with it is that it will grow on live plants, especially the broad leafed types like amazon swords. they grow along the edges of mature leaves that are near the end of their growth, making them almost impossible to scrub without killing the plant. Usually a "haircut" is the only thing you can do with plants.

I don't have any pictures of it, but as soon as I do, I will post them.

I will probably end up breaking down my tank eventually, but I dread the thought of tearing apart my carefully tended planted tank...

darcy
12-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Well I know in Salt that Red Algae is Cyano. And usually starts with low flow or bulbs are too old and need replaced. Never really seen red in fresh or black for that matter..................

GrayLadyPat
12-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Usually the only way a fresh water tank gets it is from cross contamination. I figure one of my plants had it on its surface when I brought it in about 2 months ago (before discus) and then it slowly got a foothold in the nice warm water.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were talking about two different types. From what I understand, there are literally thousands of strains of red algae. Trying to get a picture....

plecocicho
12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
They are red beard algae, which are not red. but they are a part of red algae class Rhodophyta. Red tides are Dianophycea, totally different class of unicellurar algae that are highly poisonous and red.

DerekFF
12-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Theres cyano bacteria or blue/green algae. Cured by antibiotics. There is black beard algae which is really hard to get rid of. Hydro perox spot treatments are a good way to do it but tedious. Google blue green algae and black beard/bush algae. I still have never seen algae inthe fresh water that is truely red in color.

DerekFF
12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
They are red beard algae, which are not red. but they are a part of red algae class Rhodophyta. Red tides are Dianophycea, totally different class of unicellurar algae that are highly poisonous and red.

Red tides are salt water only. There are blue/green "tides" for freshwater also but still not red

GrayLadyPat
12-27-2012, 06:48 PM
After doing a bit more research, I have found that it is indeed Black Beard Algae, a form of red algae...annoying but relatively mild except that it takes over your tank if not held in check. I have had it before, and SAEs would clean it up, but here's what else I have found out...

From what I have read it comes from inconsistent or low CO2 levels in the tank, exacerbated by frequent water changes. Since half my free time is spent changing water, I am not helping matters.

SAEs (as I have said previously) will eat it, but only if there is no more readily available food. Looks like I can increase the CO2 levels (not sure how this will affect the fish) do a mild bleach dip to the plants (not in this tank, thank you...) or scrub everything.

Looks like as soon as the weather is decent enough for me to work in the garage, I will be tearing apart my tank. Might be a good time to re-scape ;)

Anyone have a good way to keep the kiddos from stressing too much while they're out of the tank and in a bucket??

DerekFF
12-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Bleach? Why not hydrogen peroxide? Where is this new bleach dip idea coming from? Second person today? Is this on a website somewhere

manzpants92
12-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Bleach? Why not hydrogen peroxide? Where is this new bleach dip idea coming from? Second person today? Is this on a website somewhere

You can do a 1:20 ratio (bleach:water) to prep new plants for a tank (a way of quarantining plants). Normal plants can handle about 10-20 seconds MAX. The ones that can last between 10-20 are usually the larger leaved plants like anubias.

I'm not sure if a bleach dip will be the best solution for BBA, you can try but i'd just try increasing CO2 and decreasing your light first

DerekFF
12-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Spot treat with hydro peroxide is 100% safe and pretty effective. It just breaks down to water and oxygen.

Cullymoto
12-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Adding co2 will affect the ph in your tank, also co2 can not run 24 / 7 as it will suffocate your fish. co2 is best injected by a timer during daylight. During night time hours you run an air stone to de-gass the water column of excess co2.
Co2 is to be honest, one of those things that can really bite you... I cannot recommend enough that you research it before taking any steps.

My suggestion for this;
start up a 2nd (temporary) tank if you have available. Could even use a big ol' rubbermaid bin. start fresh in this, no material from the current setup is to be used in this new setup. insert a simple, cheap sponge filter and air supply + heater. Add a few pinches of flake food, then use a product like cycle- bio support- etc (Live nitrifying bacteria) after about a week this water will be safe for your fish. Move them into it and start the water change regime on this new setup.
pour a bottle of bleach into the old tank. Kill it all, clean it up - rescape now. (you can save your plants, utelizing any kind of plant quarentine practice. Bleach dip, Potassium permangenate dip, a day in chlorinated tap water, Alum dip etc. Check out any planted tank forum for more info on this part)
Use the water and sponge from the Temporary setup to quickly re-establish the tank and your back to normal. Just my opinion on the matter, Hope that helps

GrayLadyPat
12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Adding co2 will affect the ph in your tank, also co2 can not run 24 / 7 as it will suffocate your fish. co2 is best injected by a timer during daylight. During night time hours you run an air stone to de-gass the water column of excess co2.
Co2 is to be honest, one of those things that can really bite you... I cannot recommend enough that you research it before taking any steps.

My suggestion for this;
start up a 2nd (temporary) tank if you have available. Could even use a big ol' rubbermaid bin. start fresh in this, no material from the current setup is to be used in this new setup. insert a simple, cheap sponge filter and air supply + heater. Add a few pinches of flake food, then use a product like cycle- bio support- etc (Live nitrifying bacteria) after about a week this water will be safe for your fish. Move them into it and start the water change regime on this new setup.
pour a bottle of bleach into the old tank. Kill it all, clean it up - rescape now. (you can save your plants, utelizing any kind of plant quarentine practice. Bleach dip, Potassium permangenate dip, a day in chlorinated tap water, Alum dip etc. Check out any planted tank forum for more info on this part)
Use the water and sponge from the Temporary setup to quickly re-establish the tank and your back to normal. Just my opinion on the matter, Hope that helps

Thank you very much!

I will keep you posted on the progress...

As for the plants, they are old enough that I was needing to replace a bunch of them anyways, so methinks I am going SHOPPING!!!! But not until I get everything back to normal.

Wish me luck!

And thanks again for everyone's help.