PDA

View Full Version : Trace elements

Eward
12-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Is anyone familiar with Seachem Discus trace elements? I bought some, but don't know if its worth adding to my water. I have city water, PH out of tap is high but my tank is 6.8. Don't know my GH but KH is low (3). I'm not having any issues at this time, and I want to keep it that way;)

Eddie
12-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Is anyone familiar with Seachem Discus trace elements? I bought some, but don't know if its worth adding to my water. I have city water, PH out of tap is high but my tank is 6.8. Don't know my GH but KH is low (3). I'm not having any issues at this time, and I want to keep it that way;)

Of course, this is discus forum and you are asking if anyone has heard of Seachem Discus Trace Elements? LOL

Some folks use it to add back trace elements to RO water. I've used it in the past when I lived in Japan.

Eward
12-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Well duh.. Of course ya'll have heard of it Lol. I guess a better question would have been why should I use it? Do I need it? Do I want it? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Eddie
12-30-2012, 12:49 AM
Well duh.. Of course ya'll have heard of it Lol. I guess a better question would have been why should I use it? Do I need it? Do I want it? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Your fish might benefit from it. If your water is soft, low gh as you say it is, it is probably lacking mineral content. Some people don't believe that trace minerals are important to fish but there are also many that do believe they are important. If I had your water, I would probably add something to the water. Some folks use a mix of Calcium Chloride/Magnesium Sulfate. Everyone has their own methods of reconstituting soft water.

Eward
12-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Thank you:angel:

Larry Bugg
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Your fish might benefit from it. If your water is soft, low gh as you say it is, it is probably lacking mineral content. Some people don't believe that trace minerals are important to fish but there are also many that do believe they are important. If I had your water, I would probably add something to the water. Some folks use a mix of Calcium Chloride/Magnesium Sulfate. Everyone has their own methods of reconstituting soft water.

Eddie, have you seen a guide as to how much Calcium Chloride/Magnesium Sulfate should be used. I'v always thought my really soft water needed something.

Eddie
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Eddie, have you seen a guide as to how much Calcium Chloride/Magnesium Sulfate should be used. I'v always thought my really soft water needed something.

Not exactly Larry, but there are several recommendations on here. Some shoot for a specific TDS (around 300) using a 3:1 ratio of calcium sulfate and calcium chloride/magnesium sulfate.

mustangmike
01-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Searching the forum I found a formula attributed to Bing Seto of 3 part calcium sulfate, 1 part calcium chloride, and 1 part magnesium sulfate (epsom salt). This is by weight. I think that is what I am going to try since I am going to be using RO water due to the large variation in hardness of my tap water.

Mike

Eddie
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Searching the forum I found a formula attributed to Bing Seto of 3 part calcium sulfate, 1 part calcium chloride, and 1 part magnesium sulfate (epsom salt). This is by weight. I think that is what I am going to try since I am going to be using RO water due to the large variation in hardness of my tap water.

Mike

Sounds like a plan. You'll have to fiddle with the amounts to get a desired TDS.

Eward
01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
What level of TDS shouldI be aiming for?

Eddie
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
What level of TDS shouldI be aiming for?

See post #7