PDA

View Full Version : Best way to transfer between tanks

Curt
12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Hey Guys I need to transfer 10 fish ranging in size from 3"- 4.5" out of QT into my 55 grow out tank. What is the best way to transfer. I am still leary about handeling my fish, so plans were to lower the qt tank by 1/2 or a little more then coax them into a acrylic holding box Like you see at the Pet stores. Then move them to the 55 and release. I would like to avoid nets as I dont want to dammage fins. Any help is appericated,

Curt

Chicago Discus
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey Guys I need to transfer 10 fish ranging in size from 3"- 4.5" out of QT into my 55 grow out tank. What is the best way to transfer. I am still leary about handeling my fish, so plans were to lower the qt tank by 1/2 or a little more then coax them into a acrylic holding box Like you see at the Pet stores. Then move them to the 55 and release. I would like to avoid nets as I dont want to dammage fins. Any help is appericated,

Curt

that method will stress them out much more than just getting a net and plop and drop. Just use a net that’s at least 8" as to have enough room for them and just transfer them to the new tank......Josie

DonMD
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
that method will stress them out much more than just getting a net and plop and drop. Just use a net that’s at least 8" as to have enough room for them and just transfer them to the new tank......Josie

Josie is correct. If you fill a 5 gallon bucket half way with their tank water, net them and place them in the bucket. Then at the new tank you can gently trap one between your hands, lift it out and release in the new tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

discusplantedtanklover
12-31-2012, 08:20 PM
1+

Curt
01-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys. Will get a new net with my new heaters next week. There little journy is going to happen in a couple weeks.

Curt

Eddie
01-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I like to drain the water level down and scoop the fish into a tupperware container. Its easy and the fish don't get jacked up from the nets. Too many issues arising from netting fish that I rarely do it anymore.